nissan micra brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello wonder if anyone could help me. My brake lights have stopped working on my nissan micra w reg, apart from the brakelight in the rear windscreen. i have checked bulbs and they look ok, and have checked the fuse that seems ok. COuld it be the switch near the brakes pedal? but if it is switch why does the rear wind screen brake light work? please help i feel dumb

Sponsored Links
Scrap it, the sooner we get these cars off the road, the better, one of the worst cars to get behind, other than someone towing a caravan, theyr'e slow, or the drivers are.
Nothing wrong with your'e footbrake switch by the way.

If one brake light is working it won't be the switch. If the lights are on the tailgate its likely that a wire from the body to tailgate has broken.

Peter

Thanks for reply guys, I will have another look later, both the rear lights work which is on the same bulb, so maybe I will put new bulbs in. As the only brake light that working is the one in the tail gate.

Sponsored Links
Yes check the bulbs first, its unusual for both to fail at the same time but I have had it happen.

Peter

A bulb check would be a good idea, but these lamp clusters on the rear wings are fed from the offside (if I remember correctly) and the cables then continue around the back of the boot to the nearside.
So, if you still have problems, ignition on, keep the brake pedal depressed with a short length of timber, and use a meter or a 12v screwdriver to look for a voltage at one of the terminals unplugged from the lamp cluster.
John :)

All sorts of strange things can start happening if the earth connection to one or both lamp clusters fails, or has a high resistance.

Things like indicators stopping, or the flash rate changing when you apply the brakes, the front sidelights lighting up instead of the brake lights, all the lamps in one cluster glowing dimly when only the brake lights are supposed to be on, or the tail lights going out instead of the brake lights coming on, etc. etc. can all point towards a dodgy earth connection somewhere.

Just to complicate things, the fault often isn't at the light cluster where the lights come on unexpectedly, it is just as likely to be on the opposite cluster.
The fault can back feed 12 Volts through all the lights in the faulty cluster. That power then flows 'backwards' through all the circuits until it finds an earth connection, lighting all the other lamps on the way).

Some very good points raised here - indeed some bizarre happenings occur when the earth isn't as it should be.
Some manufacturers use a galvanised steel connection to their lamp units, which eventually rust away.....first class design, that.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back