No earth wire in lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wiring to the ceiling lights in my sons house have no earth wire. I would like to fit some metal ceiling lights but they have earth wires and say they should be earthed. What should I do?

Sponsored Links
Do not connect those lights to that circuit.The earth is as you are probably aware there for safety and needs to be connected.An electric shock is a possibility if a metal fitting requiring an earth is connected up without one if a fault were to occur

Sarah

/\ /\ What She said /\ /\

Either use plastic fittings, or get the lights rewired.

Is there a way to earth them with a wire to something in the loft as it's a bungalow.

Sponsored Links
Neil B said:
Is there a way to earth them with a wire to something in the loft as it's a bungalow.

You could run a length of green and yellow conduit wire from each metal fitting back to the main earth terminal at the consumer unit.

But if you have easy access I'd suggest you replace the cables with 1.5mm^2 twin and earth throughout.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
You could run a length of green and yellow conduit wire from each metal fitting back to the main earth terminal at the consumer unit.

Davy

That would have to be 4mm² as it is not mechanically protected!

Sarah

From the sound of it you have rubber insulated cable (19050 ish house?) and the insulation goes hard and breaks up when it has been hot (e.g. loose connection).

Well worth replacing with twin and earth.

Sarahspark said:
davy_owen_88 said:

Davy

That would have to be 4mm² as it is not mechanically protected!

Sarah

then you may aswell rewire them..... a drum of 1mm t&e is gonna be cheaper than 4mm sngl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back