No Hot Water - Powermax 155

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help me?

I've got a Powermax 155, which is about 10 years old. About a month ago, I initially got hot water, for about 30 seconds, then it went cold and up until Thursday, I could run the water for about 5 mins then the hot water would arrive but since Friday, after running the water for about 10 minutes, no hot water! Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The powermax 155x could be a possible four things,1; pump not working, 2; heat exchanger scaled up 3;blending valve not set properly/ broken or 4;stored hot water is not getting up to temperature(ignore if your central heating works fine).
2&3 are your most likely causes.
do you have hard or soft water in your area?

Thanks. I do have central heating - no problems there. I live in an area where we have hard water. I do have a combi-care compact filter on my mains pipe to help with the water softening.

You need to check that your pump on the hot water side is working? this is the one that goes through the heat exchanger touch the pipes above and below.

Your softener does it need a cartridge or filter change 6monthly or yearly?

Is there a big differance between the flow on your hot and cold water up stairs?(if yes your heat exchanger could be scaled up & needs descaling).

The blending valve if you remove the plastic cap then turn it clockwise with a spanner this should increase the hot water temp.

Sponsored Links
I change my cartridge every year.

The hot water, when it does appear, is very hot (as it was before the problem), so I don't think I need to adjust the blending valve to increase the temperature.

The pressure on the hot water - whether it's upstairs or downstairs, is very good and you can't really notice the difference between the two (hot & cold).

the 155 does not have an external heat exchanger so it wont be the pump, it will be scale or the blender valve. way to find out is to remove the bottom large white panel, the blender valve is located on the right hand side just below the programmer " brass valve with black knob" if you leave the hot tap on and feel the pipe on the top of the blender valve, if this pipe is very hot 80ish degrees but the water out the tap is cold the blender needs replacing. if the top pipe is cool then scale is the problem :D

I think you'll find the 180x doesn't have the pump. But yes! it's rather scale or blending valve but you have to cancel out other facters first.
Thanks

there is no such boiler as a 185x either, there is a 135, 185, 155, 157, 155x, 157x, and 140. the 155x, 157x and 140 have external heat exchangers and a pump that heats the hot water. :D :D

Don't think we need to argue about an 'x' do we?
I say there is:
ov155x
ss155x
ov140
ov155
ov155p
ov155cp
ss140
ss155
ss155p
ss155cp
he115
he150
he85
ov157
ss157
:D

if you want to include all the versions you missed the very early 185 sealed system, it didnt take off because being a single skin tank they used to implode under preassure. lol :D :D i am now wondering if you ment 185x, or the x is a kiss ummm dunno :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back