No stop cock in street

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to install a new heating system and unvented cylinder in my property, but the pressure is only 2.5 bar and is on 15mm supply. Also, there is no stop cock outside my property so I cant even open that up to maybe give me more pressure

If I have 2 taps open, the water trickels out, and as my house will be run completely from mains, this isnt suitable.

Have phoned thames water and they have said they can install a new main to the boundary stop cock, but only today I discovered I havent got one.

What are my options and what do you guys advice I do with my system?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
newcomers said:
Im about to install a new heating system and unvented cylinder in my property, but the pressure is only 2.5 bar and is on 15mm supply.
2.5 bar isn't all that bad. What pressure do you want?

Also, there is no stop cock outside my property so I cant even open that up to maybe give me more pressure.

If I have 2 taps open, the water trickels out, and as my house will be run completely from mains, this isnt suitable.
I think you're falling into the common trap of confusing pressure with flow.

If the standing pressure is 2.5 bar, and the water only trickles out, then there's a major constriction somewhere.

Have phoned thames water and they have said they can install a new main to the boundary stop cock, but only today I discovered I havent got one.
That doesn't matter, because they would install one when renewing the main.

What are my options and what do you guys advice I do with my system?
Unless Thames Water have already identified the point of constriction, and thus the cause of reduced flow, then have a good lock at the connection between the main (at the boundary of your property) and your internal stop cock, and beyond - you might that renewing this is cheaper and more effective.

Ok have today installed the ariston unventedd cylinder.

With just one hot tap open, the pressure is fantastic. However, if I then flush the toilet and / or open another tap, the flow is reduced heavily.

Is the solution to this to have a bigger supply installed (25 / 32mm)? Will the current pressure of 2.5bar remain and be ok for the larger supply?

A friend of mine has 6bar pressure on the same size supply as me, and he can 4 taps open before any drop is noticed, but the taps still run well enough for it not to be a problem.

AM I right in thinking that if I had 6 bar of pressure on 15mm supply, it wouldnt be so much of a problem?

Seriously thinking about having the supply made to 25mm

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there a way to work out what size main and internal pipe I would need to satisty my current demands for water?

I.E 1 Bath (hot & cold), 2 sinks (hot & cold), 1 shower (hot & cold), 1 toiler & 1 outside tap

if I go ahead with renewing the main, Id like to make sure I get the right one (25 / 32mm)

2face said:
25mm should be plenty .. :)

in your opinion, from what ive said, do you think that this will cure the problem of the water running very slowly when there are 3 or more taps open?

It's more likely to be flow related than pressure.

One thing that nobody else has mentioned - are you on a shared supply? Does the stopcock outside your neighbours control your water?

Is there a stopcock outside all the other houses or just one every 2/3/4 houses...?

newcomers said:
One every other house but have tried both either side of me and neither closes mine off
Both at same time?

Problems frequently arise where one house has had a new single supply but failed to disconnect from the common.

Or could be a whole row fed from one tap and other stopcocks are for individual houses.

Just see if there is any exact pattern to the frequency of taps for the whole street or if it seems random.

Also look for the oldest looking box/lid (unless it has been renewed).

BoxBasher said:
newcomers said:
One every other house but have tried both either side of me and neither closes mine off
Both at same time?

Problems frequently arise where one house has had a new single supply but failed to disconnect from the common.

Or could be a whole row fed from one tap and other stopcocks are for individual houses.

Just see if there is any exact pattern to the frequency of taps for the whole street or if it seems random.

Also look for the oldest looking box/lid (unless it has been renewed).

To be honest thats the least of my problems at the moment, because if I have a new main installed, they will install a new stop cock too.

I just hope having a bigger main installed will cure my problem, as I really dont want to waste any more money

newcomers said:
To be honest thats the least of my problems at the moment, because if I have a new main installed, they will install a new stop cock too.

Yes, but if you are on a shared supply then you will ahve to find out where your supply tees off the common pipe and remove the entire branch...

Installing a larger diameter (and smoother bore) pipe will help to increase your flow.

You are unlikely to increase the incoming pressure to your property (even with a partially closed stopcock or restricted pipe the static pressure will remain the same) so more flow is the way to go.

BoxBasher said:
Yes, but if you are on a shared supply then you will ahve to find out where your supply tees off the common pipe and remove the entire branch.
Surely that's what the water company will do.

Softus said:
BoxBasher said:
Yes, but if you are on a shared supply then you will ahve to find out where your supply tees off the common pipe and remove the entire branch.

No, the branch is the responsibility of the property that it feeds, the Water Co is only responsible up to the boundary.

They (Co) will connect the new service pipe but will require the householder to arrange the cut-out.

If it is a like for like swap (lead to poly single supply) then the Water Co will d/c the lead in the street.

BoxBasher said:
Softus said:
BoxBasher said:
No, the branch is the responsibility of the property that it feeds, the Water Co is only responsible up to the boundary.
I knew that, but I've just realised what you meant.

Rather than the OP having to remove "the entire branch", you meant "his branch".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back