Noise when flushing toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I flush my toilet, as it starts to re-fill, there is vibration from under the floor and a noise which can only be described as a cross between a ships foghorn and a very poor trombone player, who only knows one note :LOL: This lasts for about 20 to 30 seconds and then stops. If I turn one of the taps on in the bathroom, this will also cause the noise to stop.

I have a ball-o-fix valve on the cold water supply pipe to my toilet and last week, I turned it to reduce the flow of water to the toilet. This stopped the noise until yesterday, when it started again.

I removed the cistern ball valve this evening, took it to bits, cleaned all the components and put it back together again. No noise for oh at least three flushes but then the noise returned.

Do I need to just buy a new cistern ball valve and will this stop the noise occuring?

What is the likely cause of the noise?

I've heard of Torbeck valves. Should I buy one of these instead of a standard cistern ball valve and what are the benefits of these?

I would appreciate any responses. Thanks.

Mr M ;)

Sponsored Links
I like Torbecks, very quiet.

But really you should take up the floor and clip that loose vibrating pipe as well.

yer right clip the pipe but a would renew the washer 1st [less work] ,may have to rewasher storage tank as well if you have one ,some times can be a pig to find cause.

Very good point, I should have thought of that. If the cistern is supplied from a cold water tank in the loft, it is more likely to be the mains pipe to the tank (high pressure) than the tank pipe to the cistern (low pressure).

Sponsored Links
you need whats called an "equilibrium" ball valve on either the systern or the cold water storage tank, whatever one is causing the noise.
torbeck ball valves are equilibrium ball valves so that will solve your problem. you may not need to clip pipes, ive known this to happen with pipes cliped, its a vibration as opposed to a rattle, like a very loud humming?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back