Noisy Baxi Solo 2 30PF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house with a Baxi Solo 2 boiler. Boiler makes a noise like a steam train when it's running. If the room stat is calling for heating and the (Grundfos) pump is running, but I turn off the boiler, water circulates quietly. Had a plumber look at it, and he thinks it's full of sludge, and moaned about it having no drain tap. He suggested putting Sentinel sludge remover in for a few weeks. Looking at the boiler, it appears that replacing the heat exchanger would be quite straightforward. Are they still avaiable? How good is the Sentinel anti-sludge stuff? Can it really unblock a boiler that's had no TLC for years? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
X400 is good but mild acting. If you really want to clean out everything go for Fernox DS40 but make sure you read M I's carefully and follow to the letter. Use a neutraliser afterwards and then add inhibitor.

If you just changed the heat exchanger without a proper flush you would just be wasting your money, as rest of system will be full of crud and soon block it up again :rolleyes:

Thanks Dave - maybe I'll leave the Sentinel stuff in for a week or 2 (as I've paid for it and spent ages flushing the system before adding it) but if it doesn't improve I'll take your suggestion of the Fernox DS40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back