Noisy Boiler Driving me mad !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had a Worcester-Bosch Junior 28i combi gas boiler installed, and it makes a very annoying "humming" noise. It sounds like someone using a vacuum cleaner next door. It's enough to wake me in the morning, yet the boiler is in the attached garage. The noise disappears when a hot tap is used, so I think (with my very limited knowledge) that it is a pump issue. Is this common with a combi boiler, or is there a solution ?

Thanks,

Tony.

Sponsored Links
it can be the pump setting, but again it has something to do with a washer. contact the makers, they will sort it, i am sure its a wher not sitting right as the opening of the hot tap is always a key give away. Dont worry it is a simple repair and free.

phone the makers tomorrow...Worcester

its funny Worcester humms
and the baxi boilers whistle

both the same problem..

Thanks Boxster, logged a call with WB, engineer called and said nothing wrong, sounded OK to him, but he turned pump speed to 2. Noise still reverberating through the house. Would speed setting 1 be acceptable do you think ?

I'm gonna go listen to another WB Junior boiler to compare notes, and maybe get them out again, otherwise it's ear-plugs !

I don't do gas, but WB's response is un acceptable, oil wall mounted boilerds shouldn't do this, and they have a 90W motor in them.

The problem about using a low speed setting is the hot water performance will be poor. If it's the pump, it will make the noise all the time the central heating is on as well. Pumps shouldn't be making this amount of noise anyway. Normally it's difficult to tell they're running until you change the speed from something to maximum.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the assistance folks,

I got my installer out and he agreed there was a noise issue, he adjusted the pump speed down, and the noise reduced significantly. I haven't noticed any adverse affect on the heating, so hopefully I'm sorted !

Tony.

I've had the same problem from a 24i junior. A really annoying huming reverberating all over the house (see my post on this). The pump has now been turned down to 2 which has reduced the hum to an acceptable level but the house takes longer to heat. They tried setting 1 on the pump but the boiler started making clunking sounds so they put it quickly back to 2.

Is there a downside to reducing pump speed. If the house isn't reaching temperature on the thermostat for longer, surely it's using more Gas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back