Noisy Boiler/Pipes & Overheating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem with my CH/HW/Boiler and I need advice :)

Last year I had two rads excanged (re-decorating and went for towel rads). Shortly after, the following problems started happening and I'm waiting for the same guy to come back for other work so he can sort it out (I know what you're going to say!).

I wanted advice before I speak to him/see whether I can do something myself.

1) The boiler starts kettling, well more of a bubbling/gurgling sound after about 20 minutes of being on/or immediately if the water is already hot.
2) The rads/pipes and pump seem to get very hot and I can hear whooping and high pitched screeching noises where the tank is.
3) I dash down and turn HW/CH off at the thermostat and the pipes shudder and shake and it sounds as if there is grit/sand being poured down them.

The system wasn't drained when the new rads where put and there is definately air in there. One of the rads needs bleeding constantly.

The boiler is a GloWorm Ultimate 40 BF and the pump is a Grundfos 15-60 (its upside down) on a gravity fed system. The pilot light wouldn't come on the boiler recently so a Corgi guy replaced the valve and that worked. I think the house is 8-10 years old. This is the first problem with the system and it only started after the new rads were put in.

I've read other posts and gathered it could be air, faulty pump, or the header tank (what am I looking for here?). But thought I'd give you my exact scenario in case you've seen it before.

Any help gratefully appreciated...Thanks guys

David

Sponsored Links
firstly you need to know if there's sufficient water in the system, check header tank (small tank in loft usually) should be about 3/4 full.

next try bleeding pump and other air vents on system, bleed all rads.

just sounds like air in the system, getting rid of it is one thing but finding the cause is another

rob

Cheers for the quick response Rob,

I bled all the radiators. Haven't checked the header tank yet...I'll make that my next port of call.

I also tried bleeding the pump, unscrewed the middle screw and water came out. Do I need to do anymore than that?

Thanks...Dave

Guys,

I have two tanks in the loft, one large one small. Am I right in assuming this is an indirect system, with the smaller tank feeding the central heating, the large the hot water?

Both tanks are between 1/3 - 1/2 ful. About 6" in the small tank. Is this enough water or shoud I try filling it up? And how far

Thanks again....Dave

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say, I also bled the pump, I left the screw out for about 1 min and nothing but clean water came out. The pump is red hot and I can hear vibrating/rumbling in the airing cupboard even before it goes nuts!

Dave

You could have a blocked cold feed from the littlest tank! This would result in the higher parts of the system steadily getting airlocked.

When you bleed the rads you would just be moving what water you had around the system. Unblocking a cold feed is a tough proposition for a plumbing novice.

DaveAnderson said:
Forgot to say, I also bled the pump, I left the screw out for about 1 min and nothing but clean water came out. The pump is red hot and I can hear vibrating/rumbling in the airing cupboard even before it goes nuts!

Dave

make sure the shaft is turning remove the centre screw and insert a small screwdriver ;)

Thanks for getting back Kev.

Tested it last night and the shaft is definately turning.

Any more ideas?

Thanks...Dave

All,

I finally got this fixed...turned out to be the thermostat. It wasn't turning down, so it was continually boiling the water. I'm sure somebody mentioned this at some point!!!

Thanks...David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back