Noisy electical output from new TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a new plasma TV 2 weeks ago, set it up and sat back to enjoy. Within half an hour, it started to emit a high-pitched jingling whine, like white noise but at a really high level. Not ear-splitting, but very intrusive and after a while it becomes uncomfortable to watch and listen to, almost like a form of torture. It's like some kind of frequency oscillation starts up when the TV's been on for a while.

I bought and installed today a MonsterCables electric supply cleaner and filter unit (another £80 up my shirt), and all was fine for a few hours, just a tiny amount of noise, but much more acceptable. However, it's now back to the original level of whine, and is really irritating.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong? My son's identical Hitachi TV doesn't make this noise. It happens regardless of what we're watching, SKY, Freeview, or a DVD.

I've arranged for a new TV to be delivered in exchange as I think this one MUST be faulty, but if the problem persists, I'm told it could be a mains electrical issue. The house is around 30 years old, so the wiring isn't ancient.

Is anyone able to shed any light on what might be happening? What might I do to stop the problem if it is mains-related?

Paul

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it won't be the quality of your electricity supply that's causing it. It'll be part of the TV circuitry. Some TVs have always done that. I was once told why but can't remember.

Perhaps you are young and have good enough ears to hear it :LOL:

What brand/model of TV is it?

Wow! Fastest response I've ever had!!

It's a Hitachi 42" Plasma, P/no. 42PD9700, if that's of any use. Finally gave in to my desires for big screen viewing, but the experience has all gone a bit pear-shaped now!

As I mentioned, my son's TV is identical (which is the reason I gave in and bought ours, his is so damn good to watch..), but doesn't make this kind of noise at all - I thought the MonsterCables gizmo would help, and indeed it did, but only for a while. But it's probably a good thing to have between the electricals and the wall socket.

I'm stumped...

"Perhaps you are young and have good enough ears to hear it :LOL:"

PS: Sadly I'm not that young, either, and need the ears rinsing out every year now!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
£1 says its the tv, after a while of being on its warming up, its a transformer that is doing it

You could try a new IEC lead

They are only £846 here

Don't really buy an IEC lead. I'm just being silly. The TV is firm favorite.

JohnD said:
Some TVs have always done that. I was once told why but can't remember.
Perhaps you are young and have good enough ears to hear it
was it the line o/p transformers?

Plasma's days are numbered anyway. LCD is the way forward. Just got myself one yesterday, the 32 inch one PC World are advertising on telly. Nice. ;)

Take yours back and get an LCD screen instead.

JohnD said:
jj4091 said:
was it the line o/p transformers?

For some reason the word "Fly" or "Flying" comes to mind.

Flyback - associated with normal TV's (return for 2nd scan)

As I understand low pressure (weatherwise) can cause humming in Plasma tvs - the lower the pressure the more apparent the hum!

Bargain!

next some one will say oxygen free monster cable (and sealed in a foil bag, for freshness)

next some one will say oxygen free monster cable (and sealed in a foil bag, for freshness)
Eh! What, er Where! Now ther's an idea!

I, or rather my son, had the same problem not so long ago with our new telly. :confused: I couldn't for the life of me hear the high pitch coming from it but he could and drove him crazy. So I took it back and got another one which seemed ok to him. Problem solved. SHHHHHHHhhhhh I think!

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Since I last spoke, we've had some fun and games. Brief summary:
New plasma telly was making a really high-pitched whine, so I had a second new one delivered. It too made the same noise, didn't matter where I put it in the house - even put the thing in a neighbours house to check, and same thing happened.
Complained vigorously to supplier and Hitachi, and it turns out that Hitachi now admit to a problem with this model, something to do with the power regulator thingy (technical term, you understand...) in the back of the TV. Second telly has been sent back for a Hitachi "technical mod", as the chances of getting another new one without the same problem is nil, plus I want that particular tv for the spec. I've since sent a very strong email to Hitachi detailing all the issues.
So now we will see what happens. If that is nothing by the end of this week, I will cancel the order completely and look elsewhere for a TV.
Monster cables? Yep, I bought one of their filter & surge protector units in the hope that would solve the problem on the first TV before I knew it was the set at fault, so that's an additional cost I didn't need.

All I wanted was a decent TV to watch! Is that asking too much?

Thanks again guys...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back