Noisy Grundfos 15/50 Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grundfos UPS 15/50 Selectric pump. The pump is around 15 years old and is located in the upstairs airing cupboard along with the hot water tank. The boiler is traditional gas fired and is downstairs.

The pump has started to make a stange grinding noise - a bit like a hammer drill. It's intermittant, lasting for a few seconds at a time, and seems to occur most frequently in the morning when the hot water and central heating system fire up together but it has occurred at other times too.

Am I describing a dying pump or could it be something like air in the system? If the latter, how do I get the air out? If the former, how easy is it to replace the pump? It looks straightforward enough to do by closing off the gate valves on either side of the pump undoing the "nuts" attaching it to the pipework and swapping with another 15/50. Is it really that easy or should I call a plumber?

Sponsored Links
It`s easy, just as you`ve said. 15 years old? Have a go at it and see if it makes a difference.

15 years, mmm gates might not shut off 100%, nuts could be siezed, approach with care, or call a plumber

What makes you think a plumber is going to do a significantly better job than you ?

Call a plumber if you fail

Sponsored Links
the pump valves might be stuck or break. If so, buy some new (gate) valves and drain enough that you can take them off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back