Noisy Neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well ok, they're not that bad, but next door the internal doors are the big heavy fire doors, and they close with such a bang that things rattle through our house that shouldn't rattle!

My concern is that we could get new neighbours who add to this audible delight with a bit of boombastic, 'turn up the base' type of intrusion.
Now, having had some of that before, I insulated the party wall (not the loft, granted) and it has helped to a degree. Now I'm hearing about 'flanking sound transfer' that comes at you through the floor area and requires new ceilings to be fitted along with noise insulation! Is there no end to this madness?

What do I do? Yes, buy a detached is the obvious one, but in the current climate, not an affordable option. Question: Is it possible (if not practicable) to separate semi-detached houses? (there's only the 2 of us, nothing either side) now I know that this would be a job for competent builders, but is anyone aware of it having been done?

Having read that through, I sound like a right moaning old git, but I'm not, honest!

Sponsored Links
i think that separating a house is going to be far more noisy and disruptive than music is ever going to be. perhaps you should invest in a top of the range barbeque, a few bottles of drinks and invite the neighbours round for good times in the garden. you could then explain that you don't like noise in the house and spend the £30k or so that you saved on something else.

To paraphrase a TV advert: If only everything in life were that simple.......

I explained that I didn't appreciate the bass bouncing through the party wall, very politely, subsequently followed by not so politely. Do you think it worked? Of course it didn't. If they were reasonable people, they wouldn't have subjected me to their din in the first place.

Sponsored Links
I should point out breezer that they have long gone, thank god, but we did involve the council who are as much use as a chocolate fireguard, they expected us to fill out a complaint book, recording every 'nuisance event' for 3 months......3 months! They clearly have no idea how long that is when putting up with nonsense and noise.

I used to live in a flat in Scotland where people used to take their c.d's round to the one fella or put in requests, the walls were so thin !!
I won't go into the story bout me n me neighbour on solo nights here !!!

Back