Noobie Dimmer Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I recently had a little remodeling work done to fix an old bathroom into a den. I had the carpenter install a dimmer switch that was to control some track lighting that I installed later. My problem is, the dimmer switch doesn't work properly. When you turn the switch ON, the light it is already at its brightest state and does not change even when rotating the dial. There are only two wires coming from the switch, both being black. Is it possible they are wired backwards? Or do I possibly have a bad switch here? Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Sponsored Links
If your track lighting is low voltage you have one of three problems.

1)The dimmer switch can not operate transformers
2) The transformer is not able to be dimmed
3) both 1 & 2

You have to have special "electronic" transformers to which are able to be dimmed by a dimmer switch see this (bottom of the page)

Sorry they are in the U.K but they were the first i found.

If your track is not low voltage then it sounds like your dimmer switch is faulty.

The dimmer switch is rated at the same or higher (in watts) than the total watts of your track isn't it

The track lighting is not the low voltage variety. I installed 40 watt bulbs in the fixtures. Anyways, is it possible that the switch is faulty, or was is wired backwards? Keep in mind it has only 2 black wires coming off of it.

I ( and this forum) are UK based so your wiring colour codes do not mean much to me (but i do know you have 120vac 60hz and you use black and white wires)

If your lams are 40 w then i should say the switch is at fault since it is not dimming your lights, it does not matter which way round the switch is wired.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help. It was a FAULTY SWITCH. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back