No cavity closer fitted, non-compliant, builder will not rectify

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 2015 Built block of flats

We’ve had many defects with the roof being fitted incorrectly, I’ve had five granite windowsills installed. Had Velfac windows installed but the contractor put in pieces of untreated ply underneath the window, why .?

You will see it in the photographs, the untreated plywood. I had a gap between the wall and the internal window cill, the silicone had come away and there was a gap going down the inner cill allowing cold air to come through creating moisture. The internal cill is off and you can see a long gap. I stuck a straw down this gap and there was nothing and this goes to the cavity.

I checked two other windows and they are also missing cavity closers. I telephoned the NHBC as the building is only four years old and they said it’s up to the builders/Hyde Housing Association to sort out.

There are about 100 windows probably will no window closers on this development. I ask Hyde to fit cavity closer in all five of my windows as it was a fire barrier, they said no..!

I’m on the 3rd floor, disabled, Hyde have a policy of staying in your flat if there is a fire somewhere else. I contacted planning building control and said cavity Closers must be fitted to meet building regulations. We are in the 21 century and contractors are cutting big corners.

What can I do..? Does Hyde have a time limit to fix the problem. What if there is s fire 3 floors below me, the window are wood, the cavity will be like a chimney and the flames will be like Grendel.

Please any advice would be grateful.

F6921117-7D34-4C33-A0AD-0ECC8DE97EEE.jpeg

7688AFF0-C669-4403-AF3C-483E82352B46.jpeg

27B4877D-9C19-41E2-8B7A-A1CCB72CE108.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Take out a statutory nuisance claim under s82 EPA 1990 against your Association. That will get their attention. This is via the council's environmental protection dept, and not the building regulation dept which is different. It's free.

In addition, make a private claim for the defect via landlord and tenant legislation (contract) - or defective premises (common law negligence). This is usually via a no win, no fee claim.

Complain to the HCA which is the Association's regulator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back