Not DIY but HELP! Problems with builders!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having a sunroom built onto our house. They are basically expanding an existing screen porch, making it wider (adding on about 4.5 feet), and then converting it to a 4-season room.

When they did the proposal and came out he said the columns, which are every 3 feet about, weren't weight bearing. So he said it would be no problem to make the area larger. He said the only weight bearing column was the corner one.

Well, they finally come out to start last week. They ripped out the screen and left all the columns. They used the corner one in the NEW sunroom wall, even though almost all the other columns are ROTTED, and I mean severe rot. I'm pretty certain this corner column has a fair amount of rot as well, not to mention that it is touching concrete and is not made with green-treated lumber. Don't they have to bring it up to code now? They just WRAPPED the old column in vinyl to make it LOOK nice, but who knows what the condition of the wood really is. I'm going to talk to them tomorrow about this. I'm sure they're going to say the wood wasn't rotted, but even if it wasn't, don't they still need to put new green-treated lumber in, since it is touching the concrete?

Also, they told me Saturday that they may have to leave a column or two in for support!!!! This room was made larger, so that means columns down the middle of the room! I said, "Can't you just put a beam in to support it?" They said, "No. There already is a beam." and this is what they were referring to:

sunroom_003.gif

They are pretty advance in construction. What I think they need to do, after talking to some people, is first, take down what they've already put up and then put STRONG columns on each side (not sure if column is right word here?) and then a strong BEAM across the top - not that thing that is there now.

Also, I'm of course worried about them taking the thing apart and then putting it back together, since they've already managed to put dents, chips and gouges in the vinyl putting it up the first time!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Stop them from doing anymore work.

Get someone in to inspect what's already been done and give you a written report.

I always believed that construction work in the U.S. was heavily regulated
and that there was always inspections of work being done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back