Notches in Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had C.H. installed and I think that the joists have been dratically weakened by huge cut-outs. The pipe runs are in the middle of the floor and are about 2" wide and 3" deep. The annoying thing is that plastic pipe was used and holes drilled in the joists to suit. Who could I get to check the structural safety?
Withask

Sponsored Links
...and what is the span. (this doesn't sound good :()

If the holes are drilled through the center of the joist then they are in the best place as long as they are not too big in relation to the depth of the joist.
Notching joists from the top is only acceptable if you are at the edge of a joist span.
Notching the top or bottom of a joist in the middle of it's span drastically reduces it's load bearing capacity. IE it's bending strength.

-Neil

Sponsored Links
withask said:
I have had C.H. installed and I think that the joists have been dratically weakened by huge cut-outs. The pipe runs are in the middle of the floor and are about 2" wide and 3" deep. The annoying thing is that plastic pipe was used and holes drilled in the joists to suit. Who could I get to check the structural safety?
Withask

if the holes for the pipes were drilled to suit

why cut a 2""x3"" notch :confused: :confused:

Thanks for all replies, the link posted by DAZB was very good.

The joist sizes are 2" X 8" with a 13ft span.

The notches are on the top of the joists and 6ft from the end.

They measure ,on average, two and a half inches wide and two and a half inches deep; some are smaller and some larger.

Only notches have been used and not holes.

I expected to see holes as plastic tubing was used for distribution: which is what I would have used if I had tackled the job myself.

Judging by the comments I need to get some advice. Does anyone have any ideas??? I thought I had picked a well-qualified plumber but obviously dropped a gooly!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back