numpty trainee question - again !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, here is the question. As part of my upcoming assessment I have to do a full passover (without using fittings - bending only) on 15mm pipe such that the passover is 30mm "deep".

Should I start with a 45 bend and then bend each "leg" back or is there a simpler way ? I always seem to get a bigger passover as I cant get the damn pipe in the bender close enough to bend the "legs" cos the pipe retainer is in the way

thanks again !!

Sponsored Links
Practice is what it takes, lots of it.

I always bend the center first and then the two legs as you say.

Another way to practice is by drawing it on a piece of cardboard.

you want two parrellel lines with a 30mm gap, mark an 45 angle each side and to a point in the center, round the sharp corners off free hand and you should be able to use it as a template.

get a length of hep2o ..

Seriously, if you reduce your first bend to say 30 degree's you should be able to get closer on the other 2 bend's and reduce the size of the passover.

Like above, lot's of practice. Once you've left college you'll relalise what a load of ****e it all is anyway!

Sponsored Links
sambotc said:
Once you've left college you'll relalise what a load of s***te it all is anyway!

Pretty much sums up these NVQ crap if you ask me

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If you worked for me then I would not want you to waste time bending your own when they cost about £2 for a neat factory made item.

Of course the college has got to teach you and I dont have any problem with that.

The best students have their own tools and buy lots of 15 mm tube to practice on.

Tony

Nowt as nice a looking as well formed pipework, with as few joints as poss though is there Tony ;)

Agile said:
If you worked for me then I would not want you to waste time bending your own when they cost about £2 for a neat factory made item.

Of course the college has got to teach you and I dont have any problem with that.

The best students have their own tools and buy lots of 15 mm tube to practice on.

Tony

I agree no other way really

When I was an aprentice (when Pitt was in number ten and you could buy a house for a shilling and a potato) I used to pick a bit of wall with an internal and external corner and 12 foot of copper and try to get my sets bang on.

Never did succeed so I threw me handy benders away and brought rather a lot of end feed elbows

:):):):):):) ;)

As somebody on a forum said, elbows are neater than bends!

There is an advantage with gas pipe though as a pulled bend has less resistance and you dont seem to be able to get slow bends any more.

Tony

Agile said:
There is an advantage with gas pipe though as a pulled bend has less resistance and you dont seem to be able to get slow bends any more.

Tony

True!.

Agile said:
As somebody on a forum said, elbows are neater than bends!

Tony

thats true

and I must admit that when I am running a new gas line I always use me benders, very forgiving are pulled bends ;)

Agile said:

Tony

Better check your prices again Tony :rolleyes:

06/07 book lists then at £542.50 less whatever discount you get.

plus VAT :LOL:

Doitall wrote

I always bend the center first and then the two legs as you say.

I would like to see you do that with a six meter length in an A frame.
:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back