Oak faced ply,

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Got a problem with some oak faced ply which I have fitted inside a boat. When I fitted these boards it was very dull outside. Since then and also under a better light, I can see black marks which look like water marks on the surface. The wood yard don't want to know as I have cut the boards to size. The marks are quite deep and will not sand out.

A nearby boater suggested caustic soda may clean them followed by flatting off and oiling or varnishing. As anyone any other suggestions (other than the obvious) ;)

Sponsored Links
Caustic soda will bleach the veneer so you would need to do the lot to make it look even. Rustins do a product called Wood Bleach specifically designed for this. You would then need to stain the veneer or it will look very pale and not much like oak.

Water-marks will often sand out but I guess if it has been left standing wet for a long time the marks may be too deep. Contact with iron or steel will cause black marks in oak due to a reaction. If this is the case I think it is unlikely that bleaching would hide these marks.

Would it not be possible to stain the veneer darker to try to hide the marks (make sure you use a light-fast stain.)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back