odd sized door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit new doors but left these till last whilst renovating and didnt consider new frames as they were ok, I just chucked out the old doors as the previous owners left them in an appalling state.

most bar one are 78 x 30 so no problem there plus I kept all the hinges so no problems fitting them.

The odd one is 78 x 29 so the question is what do I do?

If I have to cut the door back down a long edge will that cause a problem?

I assume I dont cut down the lock side.

regards in advance.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I used to own an old house where no two doorways were the same and I spent many happy hours trying to get the new doors to fit.

I would take 1/2" off each edge so that you get a balanced finish. You won't lose any strength.

You only start to run into problems when you take off so much that you run into the joints of the cross members - then you have got problems!

thanks Iandb half inch off each side it is then.

one last thought do I mark up either side and cut with a fine jigsaw or buy an electric planer?

regards
Peter

Sponsored Links
To rip a length off each side it is easier to use a circular saw with the fence set to 10mm and then finish each side with 2 passses of 1mm each side with a planer.

Thanks guys I will use an electric planer and take a little off at a time, I tried using my friends circular saw once and its a horrible piece of kit in the wrong hands always wanting to jump about all over the place. I dont want to end up like the Kenny Everit character always cutting body parts off during DIY (cannot remember his name!)

cheers

pb21 said:
I dont want to end up like the Kenny Everit character always cutting body parts off during DIY (cannot remember his name!)

cheers

good ole' Reg Prescott - pmsl :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

so why with the planer and not a jig saw then?? i need to replace 4 doors and will need to take off at least 1" from each door - i was expecting to just to knock off 1/2" from each side with a jig saw (with one of those distance locks (?) that run down the edge of the item ~so the cut doesn't go all wavey davey) - and then run over the new edge with a bit of fine sandpaper

jobs a good un - well that's what i thought but obviously there's a problem with that???

I must admit I used a jig saw to get the majority of the excess off my doors but then evened everything off with a decent hand plane. I found it easier to use than an electric planer and less dusty. I think you might have problems using sand paper. A plane will take an even strip off the whole width of the door and give you a nice edge.

IanDB said:
I must admit I used a jig saw to get the majority of the excess off my doors but then evened everything off with a decent hand plane. I found it easier to use than an electric planer and less dusty. I think you might have problems using sand paper. A plane will take an even strip off the whole width of the door and give you a nice edge.

well that's fair enough then :O)

reckon i'll give it a go with the s/p idea and if it goes wrong i'll re-use the door for the 'next size down' door frame - lol

tatar...

The electric planer will shave off the door flat and square, I can take 3mm at a time with my planer so shouldn't take too long.

A circular saw is okay but I feel it could scratch the door surface.

A jig-saw would be difficult to get a very straight line plus the blade will bend outward slightly if you apply pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back