oh dear! opinions please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i know this might end in tears but here goes.
have just logged on to safestyle uk website for a quote for some doors and windows.2 mins later the company rings to arrange a viewing and to quote for the job.i'm not nieve and i'm not using rose colored spectacles but have just done a quick search on www.blagger.com and its the usual stories of "3hrs and he would'nt leave the house" "price started at £12k and he rang the manager ang got it down to £7k"
I am prepared for this evening when he turns up but ALL I NEED IS FOR HIM TO MEASURE UP AND GIVE ME A WRITTEN QUOTE.don't want to spend hours haggling and being put under pressure if i sign on the dotted line now.don't want cannon and ball coming either.as i will be getting a few quotes from various companys i need a ballpark firgure to start with.how do you lot think i should handle tonight.how hard can it be really ,when you get your car serviced they don't start of high then gradually reduce the price after ringing the manager and don't expect to either.if anyone is interested i can post tommorow what happens tonight. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Only warning I can give is that they are going to do everything they can to make you sign tonight, and not give you a chance to get competing quotes. You will be told that there will be an additional call-out charge of some hundreds of pounds if they have to come out again which is, of course, rubbish. The slow price reduction you mention is exactly what will happen so maybe you could turn it on its head and tell them that the only way you will sign up tonight is for x price and give them the option to meet it or not, but otherwise insist that you will not sign up without getting an alternative quote, and ask why they are so afraid of you doing so.

Do your reading up beforehand, tell them that you know all about UPVC grades, safety glass, internal beading, locking and all that and you just want a price, not that it will do you any good. Obviously it goes without saying that any talk of buy one get one free is just ****.

One other option I've heard of is to just offer the bloke 20 quid to measure up and give you the best price, and then to leave you in peace to consider it.

johnny_t said:
One other option I've heard of is to just offer the bloke 20 quid to measure up and give you the best price, and then to leave you in peace to consider it.

That's the bet tip I ever heard (in this situation) !

Sponsored Links
Cancel it now and start again with a reputable firm.

Pretend your out tonight when they call if you have to. You just have to be very very firm. Try phoning them and saying something direct like " I have changed my mind and don't want your product go away" if they don't get the hint

I replaced my windows recently through a well known National name and it was ok, they just quoted me and went. It took a while but you just have to put up with it, they didn't give me the 3rd degree whils't they were there

Do not make the mistake of letting them through your front door

Perhaps you can tell him you have to go out at 8pm, get a friend to ring your doorbell and pretend to be your taxi.

Or maybe say you haven't got any money, and will they do it on credit as you're an undischarged bankrupt and you want to do it quickly because the house is being repossed and auctioned by the bank :LOL:

One big point to remember is that you invited them to quote. YOU HAVE NO COOLING PERIOD. IF YOU SIGN UP YOU ARE COMMITTED.

joe

Tthe best thing to do is tell him as soon as he comes to the door.
Say something like, 'look mate, I want a quote , and I dont want 3 hours of your drama, as I know the score etc, if you cant do it, then you best not bother, ''

If he says something like, 'no,no, I am not like that, honest' then you say 'ok, but any faffing around and I will call the police' :evil: , say this as your loading your shotgun :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

When they have done their measuring and sit down to start going through the spiel I would tell them that you are not interested in anything but the price at this stage and will talk about the specs. etc. later if you accept the quote. If they won't do this then ask them to leave. They will not leave but will carry on talking in which case inform them that they are now trespassing and do you need to call the police.

Round here there are a few local DG companies that have good reputations. We used one recently and it all went fine, and the guy that did the fitting could not have been nicer. I would not use a national company, try looking in the local papers and ask for recommendations.

i've got a local firm just opened up opposite from where i work and will give them a go after i've got a quote from safestyle tonight.just curious as how the quotes vary.

When he shows up on the door step, say something along the lines of "I'll just show you which windows it is" don't show him to the lounge, have him measure up, and then ask if he needs any more information, and then ask how long it will be before you can expect the quote, and whether he can give you a "ball park" figure there and then

its your house, you are in control of the meeting, and if its not going your way, you can just ask him to leave.

thanks for all the helpful advice but saying on a forum is different from actually doing it,has anyone actually done this? I don't want to be rude with the salesman but don't want him to think i'm easy meat.at the end of the day the saleman is only doing his job.oooooooooer i'm dreading it already and so's the wife.

QUOTE:

What if I invited the seller to my home?

If you contacted the company yourself, you have no legal right to change your mind and cancel the contract once you've agreed to buy. There are two exceptions to this rule. First the contract itself may give you the right to cancel (so check it before you sign). Second, if you bought the goods or services on credit, you will generally have a five day cooling off period. You should look carefully at the agreement you have signed for details of your right to cancel. Cancelling the credit agreement automatically cancels the agreement to buy the goods or services.

Here's one I used earlier.....

Pretend you are locked out and get the guy to measure the windows from the outside.

Sponsored Links
Back