Oh My God

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys i am new to this forum..so please be gentle!!..i have a very serious question to ask...and it will be followed up with a pic shortly.

My friend's dad recently had a condensing boiler installed by a company called Cable Network Construction. Anyway it was to replace a back boiler. They stated that the boiler could not be installed downstairs in the living room (external wall) as it was against the corgi regs, so instead installed the boiler in one of the bedrooms.

Ok fair enough...but the way they have installed it has pretty much devalued the house and has caused the neighbours to cmplain as well. They have run the gas pipe externally from the mains up the wall along the flat roof, across the face of the house in between the bottom bay window and top and alon the side of the house up the the bedroom. It looks absolutely hideous.

My friends dad is old a didn;t understand much that was going on. the compnay is registered with Corgi...however the guy who actually installed it is not..i.e. the MD is corgi registered but no one else..

In your wisdom doesn't the actuall technition have to be corgi registered..he received no certificate afterwards and cost him £3000. However the pipe is unbelievably apparent and it just looks like they took the quickest option available and advantage...

any idea of what can be done...we plan to get a couple of plumbers out to give us an idea of what should or could of been done and fight it out with the company.

Sponsored Links
Certain key aspects of the installation has to be done personally by the CORGI person himself.

After installation the Benchmark has to be filled in and CORGI notified.

You can complain to CORGI if any of those have not been done!

The external gas pipe is often the only sensible routing at a reasonable cost. This should have been discussed with the customer in the beginning.

If the gas pipe is painted the same colour as the wall it is not usually very prominent and is much safer there.

The price is very high but thats often the result when an old person chooses to deal with the matter themselves.

Tony

BAV1975 said:
the compnay is registered with Corgi...however the guy who actually installed it is not..i.e. the MD is corgi registered but no one else..

My understanding of this is;

If the registered Corgi operative, in your case the MD, was on site, and was clearly supervising the gas installation work, then no law has been broken.

Under supervision, apprentices and trainees need to have 'hands on work' experience.

Think I just opened a can of worms for lunch.

Sponsored Links
It sounds unlikely the CORGI was ever on site during the installation!

Unfortunately there are many people who work like this often with 4-5 guys fitting boilers under one CORGI boss.

I know of someone banned from being CORGI for five years due to this kind of thing and he just fits boilers for another CORGI now.

CORGI are aware that this happens and would like to be informed so they can try to reduce the problem.

It rarely results in any gas safety issues as the CORGI usually ( but not always ) inspects the installation personally when its finished.

Tony

CORGI are aware that this happens and would like to be informed so they can try to reduce the problem.

It rarely results in any gas safety issues as the CORGI usually ( but not always ) inspects the installation personally when its finished.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back