OIL BASED MESS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can someone advise on the most efficient way of cleaning up the following:
1) After applying an oil based paint for some considerable time, the brush gets clogged towards the stock end which means the bristles are not performing that well. I use a Purdy's synthetic brush which sits in a brush mate when not in use.
2) If applying oil based paint to doors with a roller, how best to clean out the rollers and tray.
3) How to clean out the kettle - I currently empty all the excess paint back into the pot and wipe the kettle with a cloth. OK but not the tidiest way to go about it.

Sponsored Links
You can buy a steel comb to clean the brush out in between uses, that does help.

Always wipe the ferrel of the brush before you commence work.

While your painting occasionally wipe the bristles on the side of the paint kettle

Dont overload the brush.

Remember to wipe as much paint from the brush before you put it back into the brush box.

As for cleaning the roller and tray out...personally I would throw the rollers away....in most cases you will need a couple of quids worth of white spirit....roughly the price od a new sleeve..but if you do want to keep them then id suggest you roll as much of the paint out of the roller onto a board to remove most of the paint first....then use a little white spirit at a tim in the tray...and keep working it through the roller. That will also help get the tray clean while your at it.

As for the kettles...as a painter I dont clean mine out every time, I dont have the time...all i do is wipe the access out with a brush and then leave the kettle inverted slightly over another pot....so I dont get a puddle form in the bottle...after ive used it a few times I let it harden up completly and using a screwdriver or narrow bladed tool i run this down the side of the kettle inbetween the paint and the palstic....and just el out the hard paint...viola...one spotless kettle again...most painters do this.

If you have a metal one...do the same...them when the paint builds up drop a lighted rag in it and set it alight....then wash out the soot and coat it with some knotting and its ready for use.

Ask any painter over the age of forty who has been an apprentice.....that was always considered the apprentices job....the punishment job!

Thanks for the advice Zampa. I would never have thought of burning the paint off the kettles, let alone using the knotting for a finish. But I suppose when you think about it, it's logical.
Invaluable. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
cocoots100 said:
Thanks for the advice Zampa. I would never have thought of burning the paint off the kettles, let alone using the knotting for a finish. But I suppose when you think about it, it's logical.
Invaluable. Many thanks.

No problem...but hey...they are metal kettles your uusing arnt they!!??

When I was an apprentice plastic ones were just coming in....I once had about 20 to burn out.lit a nice fire...great...until i relaised that when they had cooled down I only had about 15....yeh you guessed it!!!! :oops:

Cue major b*lloc*ing from foreman! :cry:

Ih another tip....if your using plastic trays...when they are new...or clean....give them a couple of coats of gloss paint first....it will make them easier to peel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back