Oil fired floor system boiler recommendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a central heating system in a house which has an AGA which supplies the hot water, so I need a boiler for heating only. What recommendations are there for floor standing oil fired system (ie with expansion vessel integral) boiler, output is for 12 rads, so 15-20 Kw.
I have not got the room for a separate expansion vessel, nor do I want the hassle of extra pipes for the expansion tank in the loft.

Sponsored Links
If you can afford it go for a condensing combi, very efficient. I would recommend the Vortex made by Grant. But remember it should be installed by an approved OFTEC engineer but if you DIY it may cause probs if you plan to sell your house in the future and don't have an approved installer sign it off.
ps Condensing combis to be fitted from sometime next year only. No ordinary boilers from then on.

If the customer is gullible enough, sell them a condensing combi, or a condensing oil anything. Once you have established the baseline, you can sell them any old gadget ridden bag of junk for astronomical amounts.

Anyone who thinks condensing oil boilers are going to save them money hasn't understood basic maths, or physics, and certainly doesn't appreciate more bits = more servicing and maintenance costs.

Get rid of the boiler in the AGA and have the oil boiler do the lot. It will be more cost effective, though a disadvantage if power cuts are frequent as the AGA can do it without electric.

As a final twist, it looks possible that a thicker continental heating oil will become the norm here, so AGAs will have to be converted, and all pressure jet boilers will need adjusting. Taht should be fun.

In answer to your question, Grant, Warmflow, Merlin, and others do reasonable system boilers. Don't look at Worcester as they use overpriced, strange shaped, expansion vessels.

I really can't see what all these 'extra parts' are in a Grant Vortex versus a Grant Euroflame (for example).

Are you referring to the secondary heat exchanger?

We regularly look after Kidd condensing stuff that was put in from 1982 onwards and I can't see the argument against condensing. If you select a boiler which has been properly designed (and professionally installed) there should be no complex problems.

Sponsored Links
simond said:
I really can't see what all these 'extra parts' are in a Grant Vortex versus a Grant Euroflame (for example).

Are you referring to the secondary heat exchanger?

So you can see. Do you charge the same for servicing these boilers as for the non-condensing boilers?

We regularly look after Kidd condensing stuff that was put in from 1982 onwards and I can't see the argument against condensing. If you select a boiler which has been properly designed (and professionally installed) there should be no complex problems.

Does not address the combi problem which is the expense of maintenance. This point is even accepted by manufacturers who make combis, (almost under duress).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back