1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Oil fired heating & hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by 75pete, 13 Jul 2015.

1. 75pete

75pete

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We are looking at moving and as I have never had any dealing with oil fired boilers, can I ask, what should I note when looking at property that has oil boilers ?
    Thanks for any info,
    Pete

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The position of the oil tank for thieving :notworthy:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. oilhead

oilhead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Get a report from an independent oil technician as to compliance and condition. Compliance can be a bit iffy on some installations as monitoring is not as tight as with gas. If any doubts, seek a £3.5k discount for replacement.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. 75pete

75pete

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good points, thanks.
    Anyone recommend good oil boilers and ones to avoid if I need to have a new oil boiler?
    Pete

6. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Grant has many followers, but do report back on which boiler the property has? They can last a surprising time......
    If the tank is steel, check for rust underneath.....if it's plastic, it must be on a completely solid and level surface - and there's no guarantee how long it will last either!
    John :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. SilentDancer

SilentDancer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Worcester oil boilers are designed with easy servicing in mind and if you get an accredited installers to fit one you'll get a 7 year guarantee.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. simond

simond

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Worcester oilers get my vote.

9. Andy4444

Andy4444

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Worcester had a disaster with the Greenstar Camray Mark I condenser.

The Mark II is an improvement in terms of baffle arrangement but still lots of plastic, circlips, and the same secondary hex (don't drop the screws). They have a long way to go to restore the faith of oil boiler installers.

My preference is Grant or check out Hounsfield Boilers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. simond

simond

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I haven't seen a Tuscan boiler but their claim to uniquely offer a balanced flue external model simply isn't true. And hasn't been for years.

The Worcester Camray condenser, I'm assuming you are referring to the 2005-2013 model as the Mk1, wasn't a disaster. It wasn't very quick to service which might be a pita for the service tech in a hurry, but an 8yr lifespan of production, with very few updates (just baffles and a better condense trap as far as I recall) shows it was well up to the job. The many we have fitted are all still going strong.

Grant do not have a blemish free record, as anyone with a contemporary Vortex combi will tell you. The electronics were rubbish, the water tank splits if the expansion vessel loses charge and then writes off the whole boiler, their vertical flue termination leaks on the top hat connection and the condense trap is lousy compared to ...a Worcester.
    Took out (eg: scrapped) a 5yr old one last month with a split water jacket due to the exp vessel.

Their warranty is administered by (usually) cheap subbies and it isn't 7 yrs like the Worcester, who have their own dedicated tech team on the road.

Grant aren't a bad boiler, but I just wanted to redress the balance and show they aren't perfect.

12. Andy4444

Andy4444

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fair comment Simond but never had a problem with a Grant Vortex installation in 4 years. I don't specify Combis as I do not believe that they are a durable application.

The "Mark I" is one of the few boilers other Engineers refuse to work on due to the labour involved in the service. I am going to one on Tuesday where the baffles are virtually cemented in by sulphur deposits. I'm not looking forward to it. The condense connection often leaked onto and rusted the right hand screw on the baffle access panel which then had to be drilled out to get access to the baffle retaining clips.

I agree with your comments regarding after sales. Grant can't compete with Worcester in this respect although they do have I think 4 in-house Engineers.

13. 75pete

75pete

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok, been for a view of the bungalow and the oil boiler is Eurostar and the fuel tank looks like green plastic?
    So, is this a good make of boiler? I could the word Trianco on the left hand front panel along with, red, orange and green lights then a dial showing "O" , L and H ( expect this is the boiler stat )
    Agent thinks this bungalow was built around 1990ish
    Do you think this boiler could be that old?

14. Boilerman2

Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Could easily be the original boiler but as said get an independent inspection done (about £100) that will give you an idea of the age, condition and compliance of the system

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    White casing with a black panel on the front door? If so, get it checked out and do everything you can to hang onto it - they're very solid and yours will give you many years of loyal service yet. Sounds like the oil tank has been replaced. Get it checked for condition as some people can be right muppets when it comes to installing a new plastic tank in place of an old steel one

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. 75pete

75pete

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Well this floor standing boiler does have a white casing, no black at all, but with thin greenish strips above and below the lights and boiler stat

17. Boilerman2

Boilerman2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like a TRO III model so probaby original from 1990's - the last decent boiler trianco made!

• Thanks Thanks x 1