Oil or water based for best finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read many a thread on painting but it wasn't till this week when i was painting the new staircase that i remembered what i had read,

Now i know a lot of you swear by OIL based paints for an high gloss finish, but what about a satin finish ?

I have been using Crown water based undercoat and satin top coat and i find it drys to quick ? or is it just me ?

Its fine if you are painting skirtings or architraves BUT i was painting the flat side of the stair case about 2.4 meters long by 350mm wide and i found it difficult to smooth and blend .

Do you guys have any tips

cheers.

Mick

Sponsored Links
Best using Dulux Trade Satinwood (Oil Based) with an off-white colour.

I prefer using the solvent based stuff ie 2coats of dulux satinwood. Or if bare, dulux acrylic (waterbased) primer undercoat and two coats of satinwood.
But if drying time is important and smell etc, I use dulux trade quick drying eggshell two coats ontop of primer. With waterbased, brushes should be damp before starting, I dont use strait from the tin usually thin it (a little)to make it easier to apply, on broad areas use at least a 3" brush, dulux q/d eggshell doesent go off quite so quick as some. thou you still need to apply and lay off as you go quickly. Turn off any heat whilst painting, and try to keep ventilation low, you have to breathe of course, but any fresh air wafting in will make it difficult to keep an edge green.

I did a hall/landing /stairs with q/d eggshell on all the doors trims staicase, and must say was dubious that it would wear well :( But have been back to do other work there and it;s doing very well considering they got 3 kids. :lol
good luck.

Thanks guys,

Another question, this time about exterior masonary paint. I have NEW render on the walls that has dried for around 3 weeks. I applied first coat and the render was very trhirsty.

By the time i got to the end of the wall, i thought i would give it another coat as it was drying very fast.

How long should i wait till i give it its third and final coat ? should i leave it to go off for a couple of days ? dont want to push my luck giving it three coats on same day :)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
All depends on the make and type of Masonry paint you used. So what make and type is it ?

Its Sandtex smooth cottage cream

I left it at 2 coats just to be safe and i will give it another this weekend..

Thanks

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back