Oil supply line query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me where I would find out about running oil lines?
I would like to know the following
Depth of pipe under soil, footpath, conservatory and conservatory foundations?
Protection of pipe?
Running a pipe parallel to an outside wall in the foundation trench?
Number of appliances per pipeline?

At the moment there is a 32kw boiler and one AGA running ok from one 10mm pipe.
It is proposed to have another boiler [wallstar] and another AGA in an extension fed from the same tank for now but with the option of splitting the house up into 2 and running independently at some time in the future.
I intend to run another pipe to the extension again in 10mm and split it with 2 fire traps - one at each point of entry
What I am concerned about is the possibilty of the wallstar sucking up the flow to the AGA and perhaps necessitating a seperate line from the tank.
There will be about 1.5m head for the AGA and at worst -0.5m head for the wallstar [It can handle -2.5m]
Pipe run to aga is about 9m and 5m to the wallstar

Thanks in anticipation for all useful advice

Sponsored Links
Cheers Kev ... found some stuff at oftec
It doesnt answer everything but gives me enough to figure things out Ill post what I found later incase anyones else searches for it on here and needs something to refer to

i bung it through that mdpe pipe, obviously no joins underground on oil pipe work. as for depth, i do it deeper than someone with a fork can accidently hit it. although reccomendations say always keep it above ground were possible. and clip to wall.
the head for the aga is impotant you have loads. .. aga dont reccomend sharing oil supply. but i see it all the time. try ringing aga, they will know.
anyway keep us informed. i would be tempted to run a new pipe from tank for new boiler/aga. keep it simple.

Sponsored Links
Unless it's a huge oil tank, I'd think about adding another tank as well. There's no point in having a wacking great place with four oil burners to have them ALL go out 'cos some dipstick forgot to order the oil in time.

Is it a domestic single family dwelling? If not it should have a bunded tank, same applies if the tank is 2501 litres or bigger.

Here is the link I found on the oftec site.
The existing equipment worked when I extended the line by another 17m and increased the head by another metre (moved the tank). Its all in 10mm. Keeping the pipe above ground as suggested was impossible. I used that white coated copper for the run under the proposed conservatory and sleeved it with alternating 32 and 38mm wastpipe which he had kicking about and buried that 450 deep in a sand lined trench.

I have decided to run another 2 separate lines from the tank for the aga and wallstar as I couldnt risk the chance of the wallstar robbing the aga of oil. I have just got back in to find that this is in line with wilhelms advice.

The new tank site was built when I turned up at the job and I piped it up on the understanding that if the planning had a prob with it then it would be his problem. I'm not oftec so cant self certify. This also was made clear.

The oil tank is larger than normal, cant remember exact capacity but it is fitted with a watchman in any case. I fitted it about five years ago and made allowance for it then but I didnt know he was going to take a fancy for aga's as well.
Is it a domestic single family dwelling?
Short answer is yes.
Long answer I could bring out in paperback copies! Key points are: he will live in the new bit and his wife will live in the existing house.
In five+ years time he plans to split the properties up and sell one or the other of them and will deal with the seperate tank problem then.

Thanks for all replies and I will no doubt make further postings as the work progresses, as every major job I have done for this guy over the last 21 years has always been a challenge

In practice you could run more than 400kW on a 10mm oil pipe. The Wallstar will run quite happily on 6mm. I use it often. It is better to have seperate lines back to the tank so you at least have control over the oil to one appliance without affecting the other. It's not needed for capacity. An AGA needs only about 1/2 litre/hr max, and the Wallstar less than 4 litres/hr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back