Oil usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drive an Opel Astra. Every 500 km I have to add 500ml of oil. Now the car did leak oil on the sump but I fixed that by re-torqueing and replacing some missing bolts. What I can’t understand is why it is still using oil. The car doesn't blow out any sort of smoke at all. After I fixed the sump leak it was not leaving oil on spots I stop anymore.

Can it be that oil comes out of my sump while I drive? Or is this just the amount of oil the car uses?

Sponsored Links
That sounds like a fair amount of oil. There are basically only two ways you can loose it - either by burning it or leaks. If you were burning it I would expect to see smoke especially when the engine was under load. If you can't see a leak maybe you are blowing the oil out somewhere when the engine is running. I have seen cars loose oil from the dipstick hole due to the pressure in the sump. Are there any fresh traces of oil around the engine after a run?

You don't say what type of engine you have but I believe there are bad oil consumption problems with the DTI 2.0 diesel models.These engines are fitted to Astra, Zafira and probably other models too.

Its a 180ie 16v ecotec motor. Its got 160000km on the motor so far. There is no leak around the dipstick. And no traces of smoke at all. I have always looked after the motor and changed the oil every 5000km i really cant understand the sudden usage

Sponsored Links
As porker say's if you can't see leaks it must be burning it.

Sometimes you don't notice it when just looking in the mirror, you will get a better indication with someone else driving and you following. Especially if you do it in the dark, the blue smoke stands out like a sore thumb with headlights.

The old test, find a steepish, longish hill, drive down it, getting up a fair old whack at the top, halfway down, change down a cog, no braking, leave her on overrun as long as possible, then accelerate away, look for the smoke now !!
Should have created a near vacuum in the cylinders, which, if possible, will suck oil into the bores past piston rings and valve guides / seals.
In the old days before the sealed systems of today, a broken piston ring could manifest itself via oil being blown out of the oil filler cap, perhaps you should check the cam / rocker cover breather ... to air cleaner / inlet etc see if hugely oily, and operating correctly.
As has been said there are not many places for oil to go ... 0.5 L is a lot I think.
It is possible that :-
Missing sump bolts = bodge job at some time ... Main dealers have all the bolts and washers required, cannot imagine any garage leaving bolts out, unless by accident ... I guess this what one pays for. So 100K miles with some bodging ???... . There is no magic, compression test will reveal problems.
P

Back