OK, I give up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What I'm after is very simple but can I find the bits? No.

Our waist-level balanced flue belches out over the patio area; either it goes or the wife will. I'm taking the tougher option and changing to a conventional arrangement using existing chimney. Boiler is a Boulter Camray 65/90 (oil).

Flue + liner should be simple enough but what about the air intake? I want it to breathe from outside to reduce/eliminate back-pressure problems we had with the old boiler. Placing the air inlet on the same side of house should help (well, that's the theory).

So we need to bring the breather pipe through the hole where the flue currently pokes. Problems are

1. It's not long enough and will need to be extended/replaced. It's a THREE inch (75mm) flexible pipe attached to the Riello burner. Can I find anything like it? No. Tried Boulter - got chucked off phone menu three times before being told by "technical support" that his computer was playing up but anyway they don't do that sort of thing. Tried Plumb Centre - they don't either. Looked at conventional kitchen extractor ducting; all four inch. Searched the internet, drew a blank.

2. Need to mount it on the wall, preferably with a baffle and louvred vent with a 3" collar to accept the pipe. Similar problem - "we don't do anything like that".

Simple enough, for heaven's sake. Am I on the right track? Anyone got any solutions?

Thanks
Paul.

OK Oilman - you win

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
and the award goes to oilboielerfixer ;)

might have took him a while paul :LOL:
so you have had it shoved up you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
theres those that know and those that don't know
third bit is yours marra :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I should be paid for this. Get a piece of plastic drain pipe, and use that to go through the wall, then you can slip the flexi over the end. Simple or what?

You could chop out the connection to the boiler flue, and just leave the balanced flue assembly in the wall so you have the connection there anyway. Even simpler? Unless its one of those awkward Tee things.

A flue is also a controlled service for which you will need building control approval, however, there's no need for you to do anything, I'll let them know you're carrying out the work and they'll pop round to inspect it :evil:

Sponsored Links
The reason it's called a balanced flue is because the prevailing conditions (pressure zones and wind conditions) are the same for the inlet as for the exhaust.

If you route your exhaust up an old opened flue appliance duct, and take your air intake from another part even if it is the same wall, it is no longer balanced.

Some boilers are designed to cope with this, if there are two pipe options in your boiler instructions you may be able to do so. You'll need to check the manufacturers' instructions and obtained the correct parts for the job, fit them according to MI's.

Otherwise let me know where you are I always wanted to send one of those pictures in you get paid for. Last dodgy one I found like that belonged to a relative, I put it right but couldn't really take pictures I didn't want to get him into trouble. I don't know you, so wouldn't have any qwalms.

You'll probably find a vertical balanced flue is available for your boiler, that would be the correct way to go about it.

You obviously don't know how long this has been going on PaulB, have a look at PaulAH's posts. Anyway, I'm having the pictures, from what I gather, there's enough to get him put away, then I can contact Max Clifford. :D

rofl5.gif
rofl5.gif
saying nowt

So the Old Contemptibles are out in force again! Right, point by point:

I should be paid for this. Get a piece of plastic drain pipe, and use that to go through the wall, then you can slip the flexi over the end. Simple or what?

Really, Oilman, you do me a disservice. I thought of that. Three inch plastic drainpipe? Where, prey, do I get that? It's all 68 mm. And we're going to have to use the hole (5") currently occupied by the flue, so some kind of baffle would be needed.

So no payment due.

Unless its one of those awkward Tee things.

Which it is. On direct collision course with the new flue.

I'll let them know you're carrying out the work and they'll pop round to inspect it

Kind of you, Oilman. Please send bill for your services.

PB: You'll need to check the manufacturers' instructions and obtained the correct parts for the job,

Boulter do indeed make an adaptor for a conventional flue for this very boiler, feeding 4in liner. Presumably they wouldn't do this if the boiler wasn't fit for the purpose. And to quote Oilman from a previous posting "What's your problem? There are thousands of oil boilers firing up conventional flues" (or words to that effect).

I always wanted to send one of those pictures in you get paid for

Eh? Have I missed something?

You'll probably find a vertical balanced flue is available for your boiler, that would be the correct way to go about it.

There is, but height is effectively limited to one storey.

Yeah, I know we could bodge something up but my original question was: Why can't I get proprietory parts for a baffle arrangement that must be in demand all over the place? Do CH installers really have to cobble this kind of thing up from old bits of drainpipe?

And, Oilman, what would your buddies in Building Control say about a stub of plastic pipe inches from the hot flue?

Thanks for your vaguely useful and entertaining replies. More please.

Paul

PS I AM Max Clifford.

Gracious as ever, I see.

A space of 25mm from combustible materials is all that is required by the regulations.

Yes these things are "engineered" on the job, or in your common parlance "cobbled".

You can fill the space round whatever pipe with things like rockwoll, expanding foam, plaster bonding coat loaded with vermiculite, and so on.

Try your local exhaust replacement outfit for a piece of tail pipe of the right diameter.

I seem to recall a 68mm drain pipe adaptor has a diameter that fits the flexi.

Why not get rid of your wife? If she has all this hassle at home, she might be glad of the chance for a fresh start. :D

But I am gracious, Oilman. Well - grateful anyway.

The missus stays. At least she doesn't have to go around the house looking like she's about to conquer Everest. I like my heating ON :p

Warmflow did a CF boiler with a seperate air intake with 3" flexi, there was a 6x6" s/s loovered box about 1.5-2m flex and jubilee clips. It was to help keep the boiler quieter and the location I used it in wouldn't allow a BF version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back