Old Concord boiler - Possible faulty gas valve, price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ancient Concord WRS 240 boiler which has decided to stop providing me with hot water/heat. I have proved the mains supply to the back of the thermostat control box, and also proved the 240 output from that to the gas valve. The pilot light is on ok. From this I'm thinking the gas valve must have packed in, or the pilot light sensor. I'm going to get a bloke in to fix it but just wanted to know what sort of cost a new valve is likely to be just incase the chaps pen slips by accident when he's writing his quote. The boiler is at probably about 20-25 years old by now. Its a bog standard gravity fed system.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We would charge £84 plus £80 for a complete new valve. Price would include a basic service check.

By the way we NEVER agree to replace a part diagnosed as faulty by the owner as they are usually wrong! We insist on diagnosing the fault ourselves!

Tony

tony, thats cheap for that part!

Are you selling parts at a genuine retail price without 'bulk buying'?

If so, where do you source these parts from?

Not a turkey farm run by Abcot per chance

David

corgiman said:
Brill boiler by the way well worth looking after

Really? I was just thinking maybe I should bite the bullet and get it replaced since it's so old. If I can get another 10 years out of it though after repairing the valve then I'll be happy.

I checked with priceright heating customer services and they say parts for this boiler are still available and the gas valve comes in at £99.61 plus vat. I've had one guy suggest £200-300, though in his defence he hasn't seen the job yet and that was off the top of his head.

It shouldnt take more than an hour to change, there is plenty of room around the gas valve on these old beasts

The only thing i would save would favour its replacement is a new one would be cheaper to run

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back