Old Consumer Unit / Plugin MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old style Consumer Unit which has 6 Fuses of various ratings. They Pull out from the unit with two spade connectors and you have to unscrew the two halves to reveal the Cartridge Type Fuse (same type as in 13 amp mains plugs)

Q: Does anyone make plugin type breakers to replace these ? and whats involved with the fitting?

I'm happy to put up new lights but playing too close to the consumer unit is not my idea of fun.

Thanks and sorry for the esay.

Sponsored Links
What is the make of the consumer unit?If it is Wylex then these are still available but you must not just go changing your protective devices in your CU as the characteristics of the circuits will need checking for compliance.Although generally better operation times the cartridge fuses have better short-circuit capabilties and might have been fitted for a reason.
This work would be notifiable to your local building control under Part P of the building regs. (if you are in England or Wales)

First of all, they are NOT the same as plug top fuses.

Plug top fuses are longer & to BS1362. CU fuses are to BS1361.

I think by your description (unscrew 2 halves) that they are Wylex. In which case you can get Wylex plug-in breakers.

The part numbers are B6, B10, B16, B20, B32, B40. Fitting (if you already have wylex cartridge fuseholders fitted) is just a case of unplugging one and replacing with the other.

But Part P is a factor.

can someone explain what part of part p, replacing this type of fuse comes under,thanks

Sponsored Links
panny300 said:
can someone explain what part of part p, replacing this type of fuse comes under,thanks

P1, same for all domestic electrical work

ctaylor said:
I have an old style Consumer Unit which has 6 Fuses of various ratings. They Pull out from the unit with two spade connectors and you have to unscrew the two halves to reveal the Cartridge Type Fuse (same type as in 13 amp mains plugs)

Q: Does anyone make plugin type breakers to replace these ? and whats involved with the fitting?

I'm happy to put up new lights but playing too close to the consumer unit is not my idea of fun.

Thanks and sorry for the esay.
you are better to change the complete board as then it will be split load and rcd protected on showers, sockets, garden electrics etc. the mcb's rating must be 6ka which basically means the maximum amount of current which can be handled by the mcb's before they will break apart ie shatter or explode.
cheers
colin

Please note forum rule 7

CJT ELECTRICAL said:
The mcb's rating must be 6ka which basically means the maximum amount of current which can be handled by the mcb's before they will break apart ie shatter or explode.

Actually, that's the breaking capacity of the MCB which is the maximum current that can be safely broken during a short circuit situation. I would hope that during a short no MCB would shatter or explode...

breaking capacity = the electrical limit beyond which the CPD will shatter..

like it :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back