Old discoloured grout - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with the grout in between the tiles around our bath - it has gone all orange and even black patches in places! We tried re-grouting but made a right mess of it, so I was wondering if these grout cleaning sprays you can get from places like Homebase work? I also saw a tube of grout restorer stuff which is white and you're supposed to put it on over the old grout - is this kind of thing any good?? Advice appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
Only a personal viewpoint but grout restorer can look truly awful. I've done a couple of these at home . One looks OKish but the other was a right mess. I wonder if something lile one of those Oxy type cleaners do a better job ?

Fit an extractor fan. You are getting mould and mildew due to damp conditions. Bleach should kill what's already there.

we do have an extractor fan because there's no window, someone said the orange stains are from shampoos / shower gels etc?? hopefully that means the cleaning product will just bleach them off?

Sponsored Links
My other half uses those kitchen sprays with bleach and swears by it.

Cheap and easy too............ that's the spray not my gf :LOL:

The orange stuff IS due to to soaps and shampoos. Er in doors uses Cif bathroom. The black stuff is mould and you've need to scrub/scrape it off. You can always regrout.

"I also saw a tube of grout restorer stuff which is white and you're supposed to put it on over the old grout - is this kind of thing any good?? "

Absolutely Awful , an will be black again in weeks , same with bleach an cleaners , the grout has got the spores in it ........
I would scrape out the old grout here
Grout Rake
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/tradetiler_tile_cutter_grouting.html
an then regrout ,
hope this helps ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back