Old fibrous carpet underlay!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I had to rip up an old carpet for the boiler man to upgrade my central heating pipes and the underlay was made of a very fibrous material.

Does anyone know what these are made of 'cause I'm a little concerned about a certain asbestos risk!

Sponsored Links
yes its 98% asbestos i suggest you burn it :LOL:

seriously though, with that little information how do you expect a proper answer? and why worry about it? it has been there for years and no trouble at alland if idt does contain asbestos its too late since you have moved it

Sure I'm a bit concerned as I have had to move it and it was something that I wasn't expecting, but my main reason for the post was due to curiosity. I know nothing about asbestos and I would like to find out the facts.

I lifted the carpet and there was an underlay that was made of a fibrous material so I don't really know what more information I could give. I assumed that this was enough for people to know what I was talking about.

There is no reason to suppose it contains asbestos. That was mostly used for insulation of hot materials and has not been used in houses for many years. It is a greyish white whiskery material that makes powdery dust.

If it is not a felt underlay it is most likely Jute or Sisal. This is usually a light brown/yellowish colour like a sack or coarse string.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD. Much appreciated. I know I was being a bit silly, but sometimes you don't know until you ask!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back