old water tank in loft - Safe to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Currently in the middle of a loft conversion. In the loft there's an old water tank and smaller tank next to it (both are still plumbed in and have water in them). We have a combi boiler and i think this is the old storage tank and expansion tank from before the combi was installed.

So i have two questions.

1. I'm not that familiar with heating systems, does what i say above sound about right?

2. Can i de-plumb it and remove it without causing problems with my combi system?

thanks

HS

Sponsored Links
If you are sure that the combi is supplying your hot water and heating, then yes.

Make sure that supplys are not still connected though first.

Worth asking a plumber to check BEFORE you start cutting pipes etc :D

A typical combi system shouldn't require any tanks in the loft, however there's a chance that the cold water to any bathrooms upstairs could come from a loft tank.

Your best bet is to run any upstairs taps and monitor any obvious flow from the tanks.

I'm not a professional plumber incidently, but I'm currently on my second time round converting an open system to a pressurised combi system and I'm just about to take out the two tanks that you're (probably) talking about !

Whoever did the conversion should have at least drained both tanks IMO and ideally removed them both, although the larger tanks often won't fit through an average loft hatch.

I'm pretty confident it doesn't do anything, i don't hear it filling up when using water etc.

Sponsored Links
something must be on the other end to stop them emptying though? question is what?

Whoever did the conversion should have at least drained both tanks IMO and ideally removed them both, although the larger tanks often won't fit through an average loft hatch.

Yeah well, as i keep finding to my dismay, the previous occupants were prone to doing stuff on the cheap.

I'm doing the loft conversion myself, just fitted the new hatch and retractable ladder. Happily, the water tank is made of wood and lined with what looks like zinc, so i'll drain it and take it to bits in the loft.

breezer said:
something must be on the other end to stop them emptying though? question is what?

Well they are still plumbed in, if i push the ball cock down they start refilling.

Hairy Steve said:
I'm pretty confident it doesn't do anything, i don't hear it filling up when using water etc.

Can you follow the pipes from the tank to where they terminate ? They often go down through an airing cupboard (to where the cylinder probably once was). My guess would be that they'll be capped off somewhere or will terminate at a gatevalve or something similar.

so the water does not look stagnent then?

ask the Mrs to turn all taps one / time while you watch the tank

mikej2005 said:
Hairy Steve said:

Can you follow the pipes from the tank to where they terminate ? They often go down through an airing cupboard (to where the cylinder probably once was). My guess would be that they'll be capped off somewhere or will terminate at a gatevalve or something similar.

In the room below there are cut and blanked pipes directly below the old tank. this is another reason why i'm sure it is defunct.

breezer said:
so the water does not look stagnent then?

ask the Mrs to turn all taps one / time while you watch the tank

The water in the small tank is very stagnant. The water in the big one looks fairly clean (but it has a cover)

I will definately get the wife to run the taps while i check, just to be sure.

Hairy Steve said:
Well they are still plumbed in, if i push the ball cock down they start refilling.

You need to cap off the supply if this is the case ;)

If your going to cap off supply to tank best practice is to remove right back so you don't leave a "dead leg".
My colleague is paranoid about leaving "dead legs" on supply pipes mumbles something about legionella.

Before you assume that the tanks are not in use !
Some combi boilers are open vented !! and make sure you do not have a H/W cylinder which could be on an "S" plan on the heating circuit!!

Tie up the float valve in the big tank and wait a few days and see if the water level goes down!

It may feed a toilet cistern.

As stated see if the combi has a pressure gauge showing about 1.5 bar before you assume the old F&E tanks is redundant.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back