Old XP installation has ruined new install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My setup is a Seagate 40gb PATAIDE hd split into 2 partitions running XP pro which runs but is very crashy after being attacked by the mmx19g malware which has ruined a windows system file because no programs will install or uninstall, I even tried a repair install which didn`t help, so I left it alone.

I then installed a second hd which is a Seagate Barracuda 400gb SATA hd split into two partitions & I formatted both partitions & clean installed XP pro onto it. First I installed the latest nvidia 7900gtx drivers followed by NIS07 & NS 06, ran symantec liveupdate & then got the latest XP fixes including IE7 & media player 11. Then I installed logitech itouch & mouseware software. I then transferred some files & settings from the old XP installation & installed Adobe shockwave player followed by my soundblaster elite-pro drivers & rebooted. Restarted fine but after a while any open programs stop responding,even task manager stops responding & the only way I can get it to reboot is by hitting the reset button. Ive done a full virus scan but nothing has been found, does this sound like a software conflict or have I picked up a bad file when I transferred files & settings from the knackered xp installation? Or is it some kind of problem between PATA & SATA?
One other thing that I should mention is that I have been overclocking but I stopped when XP started playing up. :oops:
Ta
Rich

Sponsored Links
Given that you say you've overclocked it, I would do a basic XP build, installing only device drivers and XP updates and then run a soak test to determine if the machine will run ok for a day or two. I'd be tempted not to trust any system settings on the old drive. It might even be worth removing/disconnecting the old drive until you have eliminated other possibilities.

Cheers Igorian, so i`m thinking right when I think i`ve picked up a corrupt file when i`ve used the file & settings transfer wizard or caused permanent damage to my pc due to overclocking. Since my first post, when I try to close a program that isn`t responding I get an error message saying i`m trying to close "rundll32 run as a app".

The genuine Rundll32 is a service application for running DLLs, although there have been variants that are viruses.

It's possible that you've copied a corrupt system file, but it's also possible that there is a processor fault, hence the need to build a stable platform without any unnecessary applications installed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, i`ve just done a repair install & installed the latest patches except IE7 & i`ve had it running for about 20 mins without major problems & programs seem to open a bit quicker. Something else I should mention is the CPU seems to go from idle to full when there are no programs running so maybe i`ve damaged it by overclocking it. When you say a stable platform should I just install some antivirus software & the latest patches or no programs at all?

Ta
Rich

I would have done a complete re-install rather than a repair. Although system files should be replaced, any dodgy data files will remain.

Yes, it would be prudent to install some AV software. Try a free one such as AVG or AVAST as opposed to NIS at this stage. You can install NIS when you have a stable system. I would run it for 24 hours maybe with a 3D screensaver to give it some load.

Open task manager and see if you can identify the process using all the CPU.

I seem to have intermittent problems with windows related programs like IE6 & OE6 & other things that I have applied settings to. So i`m taking a guess that i`ve transferred a dodgy system file along with my files & settings, because it seems like everything went down hill since running the transfer wizard, so I think I only have one option. Format & re-install :evil:

Just what you need three weeks before xmas, a wrecked pc. No pc means no internet to buy cheap prezzies & cheap booze!

Spoke too soon, everytime I reboot my desktop changes itself from Windows classic to that horrible XP theme with the enlarged task bar. :confused:
I know, leave it & I might get use to it but i`m an old school windows fan.

Sponsored Links
Back