omega 2.5 v6 1999 auto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought the above motor and find i have a problem showing on the dash that there is gearbox fault.its in the book that i must take it to the dealer for rectification.any ideas?

Sponsored Links
More than likely an electrical fault, vauxhall dashes often throw these up.

As Breezer said you will have to have diagnosis at a dealer to find out for sure.

Some smaller independants now have this testing gear and it may be worth you phoning around to find one. Rather than falling victim to a main dealer.

thanks for your suggestions,will hold my breath(and wallet) and take it to a dealer

Sponsored Links
took it to dealer.gearbox control unit given up.have to import from germany.£800 bill.nice

The Vauxhall 2.5 V6 unit (inc gearbox), is a good reliable one, unfortunately if or when it does go wrong, it's bl**dy expensive to fix. My sympathies. :(

Don't they just take the p**s, bet it didn't cost GM £800 to build the full engine and box.

Sorry mate theyv'e got you by the old short and curlies here.

Car worth ?? excellent condition about £4.8 retail or so. (new £27k'ish ?)

Just who buys these cars, new, at that price ?

Second hand part from equivalent spec - best option ?

P

pipme said:
Car worth ?? excellent condition about £4.8 retail or so. (new £27k'ish ?)

Second hand part from equivalent spec - best option ?

P

Generally fleet, who probably pay in the region of 50% of retail.

I would have thought that a good motorfactors will be able to get you the part cheaper: wheel bearing for my car was about £200 at the Vauxhall dealer, I ended up paying about 70 (although I knew the owner of the shop). So look up Motor Factors in the yellow pages, ask them about getting one in.

People buy these cars new, because if no-one did there wouldn't be secondhand ones! If I had 27K to spend on a car it wouldn't be an Omega , but then my priorities are different.

To compare a "normal" car with a "prestige" car, compare the Mondeo estate with a BMW 5-series estate. A Mondeo ST220 estate is about £24K on the road. The cheapest 5-series touring (with a 2.5 litre engine) is £30K. They are the same size, yet the Mondeo is quicker, and leaves you with £6K to buy an antique wardrobe to sling in the back.

Now that is the base model Beemer. The thing with BMWs is, it isn't worth having the cheap ones. People buy BMWs to look flash. They might talk about bulletproof German reliability, but in reality they buy them because of the image. If you buy a BMW with a small engine and ugly wheels, people at the golf club will laugh at you, your children will be bullied at school and any promotion prospects will go out of the window. So, in order to buy a 5-series Touring worth having, you are looking at the 535d Sport or the 545 Sport. Which cost £41K and £47K respectively. Twice as much as the Mondeo!

thanks for all your sympathy,picked the car up yesterday,goes like s**t off a stick.well pleased.shame i can't afford to put petrol in

Only thing to do is take it back to them immediately, seeing as you have already had expensive work done they will probably be very quick to hook it into their computer gubbins for you. You never know, could be the new control unit that is to blame.

But if it isn't, I doubt you have any comeback if they fitted an £800 part if the original wasn't faulty and they did it in good faith. :cry:

took it back and they replaced the whole system.its still doing it.they now say it could be a faulty wire.if this is the case,i want some money back for the unit they told me was definitely the problem

Sponsored Links
Back