Omnivorism leading towards vegetarianism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The human body is designed to eat MOSTLY leaves, fruits, seeds and vegetable matter etc. The small canine teeth, the long and slightly rough digestive tract, relatively acidic stomach acid and the fact that we chew food rather than swallow it in big chunks indicate this. Vegetarians are also generally healthier with lower rates of cancer/heart disease.

However, the human body is ALSO designed to digest meat, although not over a long period of time. Digesting meat (already a protein rather than plants which are amino acids to make our own proteins) is hard work. If we eat a lot of meat over a long period of time we put our bodies under too much pressure. The small canines and the slightly rough intestines means we can cope with a bit of meat.

If we compare other animals' eating habits/digestion to our own, we are closer to pure herbivores than pure carnivores. We practically match the chimpanzee's digestion habits (no surprise there). They eat mostly vegetable matter and when they can, meat.

It is widely acknowleged that we should really be living on savannahs/the edge of jungles ('cavemen'). When we lived like this, the women harvested plant material and the men went to hunt. However, the men did not catch something every time, it is purported that in fact a kill was quite rare. When the men did make a kill, they ate the meat over a few days. This did not upset the intestines with a mixture of differently absorbed matters. Because meat was so rare, it was valued. This is why you always eat the meaty bits in preference to the other parts of your meal.

Aside from the biology/anthropology, the economic factors of a massive meat consuming population cannot be sustained by the ecosystem we live in (the Earth). This unsustainability is why we have battery farming and BSE, bird flu et al.

So people who have strong views either way are ill-informed. It should be mainly plant material with some meat every now and then.

Sponsored Links
Wonder what brought this on? :LOL:

Obviously it is healthier for a human to live on a purely vegetarian diet than it is to live on a carnivorous one. Even cats, which are obligate carnivores (they must eat meat as they metabolise proteins for energy and cannot metabolise carbohydrates), often suffer kidney problems in later life.

However, a human is undeniably an omnivore, and this is the healthiest diet in general. Vegetarians do seem to be poorly more often than a healthy omnivore, and whereas stale meat farts smell terrible, vegetarians do seem to fart far more often (presumably the beans). My last two girlfriends have been vegetarians and they can both lift the duvet covers. :LOL:

I am actually yet to meet a militant vegetarian. Every one I have met seems to accept that it is a choice. Respect their choice and they respect yours!

As an aside, Innuits eat an almost entirely carnivorous diet and are healthy. Little known fact, but meat also contains vitamin C. However, it is only plentiful in some cuts (IIRC in the case of mammals it is concentrated in the liver), and can be destroyed by over cooking. So, eating raw and barely-cooked fish, as the innuits do, isn't as unhealthy as it sounds. Why do humans need vitamin C? A genetic defect that is present in apes (including humans), guinea pigs and no doubt a few other animals, means that we can't synthesise our own. But most mammals do. :!:

What bought this on is we (wife and I) have recently assessed our eating habits and have been eating mainly vegetarian with meat once a week. We have been doing it for about 3 months and both feel a lot better.

I used to know a militant vegan. She would not eat Quorn, as it was grown on eggs, and would not even eat honey :rolleyes: . I told her that I considered plants to be animal products, as soil is broken down organic matter, both animal and vegetable, and plants grow out of soil. We agreed it depends how far you go. i.e. she ate bread (there is some discussion on vegan forums if yeast is an animal or not, apparently :rolleyes: ) and kills germs when cleaning the toilet.

As for inuits, yes, RAW meat and LOADS and LOADS of raw fish constitute their healthy diet. But they do import some fruit and vegetables. Apparently their diet is not as well documented as it could be. Some humans, especially aboriginal tribes, have special adaptations for their habitat; I heard of an aboriginal group in the Himalayas whose Haemoglobin has an even larger affinity for oxygen, to take account for the thinner atmosphere. Maybe inuits have an adaptation somewhere.

Sponsored Links
I know that you can't generalise, but I've been one for the best part of 20 years now, and haven't had a day off sick in that time. Not that I haven't pulled a few sickies, but I've not been actually ill.

Also, for my birthday last year, after ill-advisedly expressing some curiosity about it, my wife bought me a voucher to go to a health place and have a colonic irrigation, and I was clean as a whistle...

I did hear that there is one blood group that thrives on vegetarianism, and then when I went home and checked on my donor card, I was that group. Can't remember what it was now though A negative rings a bell.

Hey, I'm A Rh Neg too!

Yeast isn't an animal: it's a fungus. :idea: This is back to the ages of life. You have 5 kingdoms, arguably in order of complexity:

Monera - Bacteria etc.
Protista - Amoeba etc
Fungi - mushrooms
Plantae - plants
Animalia - animals

Animals and plants must be multicellular. There are multicellular fungi (just look at a mushroom!), so there might be multicellular yeast, but yeast isn't an animal.

I think veggies do seem to eat more healthily in general, as it is generally a conscious choice either because they believe it is healthier or because they disagree with the way animals are treated. So, they are going to be healthier than an omnivore who eats turkey twizzlers and fish fingers!

But I do think, in my experience, that vegetarians do seem to get ill more often. Of course, all but two of these vegetarians have been girls, so it could be "women's problems" in general.

AdamW said:
Hey, I'm A Rh Neg too!.
Me 3. We should start a club.

Yeast isn't an animal: it's a fungus. :idea: This is back to the ages of life. You have 5 kingdoms, arguably in order of complexity:

Monera - Bacteria etc.
Protista - Amoeba etc
Fungi - mushrooms
Plantae - plants
Animalia - animals
Did you work out which one you're in yet? :LOL:

I'm pos so I will stay on the meat and occasion veg diet.

hermes said:
johnny_t said:
, my wife bought me a voucher to go to a health place and have a colonic irrigation, .
sure she wasn't trying to tell you summat? :rolleyes:

Well I saw Keith Duffy having it done on some TV programme, and everyone comes out of it saying how they feel like they've been reborn, so I said it might be fun. To be honest, and this may be due to my aforementioned clean-as-a-whistleness, but I didn't feel much different at the end, so I wonder if its an emperor's new clothes thing, where people need to act like they've had some benefit from having a pipe up their bum for an hour ...

This has inspired me, I went to the well man clinic today and was told to lose weight, I used to be a veggie in my youth so will try being a demi veg (eat fish) and see if it helps my diet, but I got to eat the bacon in my fridge first. :D

I said I hadn't been off work sick for 20 years, not that I wasn't a bloater..... :D

notb665 said:
The human body is designed to eat MOSTLY leaves, fruits, seeds and vegetable matter etc. The small canine teeth, the long and slightly rough digestive tract, relatively acidic stomach acid and the fact that we chew food rather than swallow it in big chunks indicate this. Vegetarians are also generally healthier with lower rates of cancer/heart disease.

Can you provide a link to verifiable medical evidence to this effect, a report on the News some months ago actually indicated that Vegetarians suffered more Colon and Bowel Cancers, further they have also shown that true Vegetarians lack certain proteins and nutrients in their diet that may lead to mental health problems in later years and may play a part in Parkingsons etc.

Now I do not know whether any of this is true or simply the press making hay from partial evidence, but my neighbour is a tee total Vegetarian and he is always ill, suffering indegestian problems, colds, random bacterial infections and even dry skin. Now his Wife Annabel also had these problems, then she started to eat fish and meat again, and all her health problem went away? May be it's personal to the individual, but I do wonder if the picture is as clear as we are sometimes led to believe.

Sponsored Links
Back