one2one shock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs Secure has a one2one (oops, showing my age, I mean T-Mobile) PAYG sim. Found out today that her service has been blocked. Got on to cust serv and they said it was in hibernation because she has not used it for at least 180 days. No problem I said, can you wake it up for me?

Sure, they said. That'll be £10.00, please. Further, if you do not reinstate your account within a further 90 days from the expiry of the 180 days, your number will be blocked and lost for good.

Great! They have £8.56 credit and want a tenner to reinstate it. Talk about Dick Turpin.

I asked her why they were tough on little used sims. She said, and I quote, but not verbatim, "We can't have 1000's of unused accounts floating about, they clog up the system...."

"But not as much as 1000's of extra sims all trying to access your network...." I added.

And, she added, the mobile phone numbers that are closed down are recycled.

I thought they were lost forever, or am I wrong?

Anyhow, if I were her, I would s*d the £8.56, invest the tenner in a cheap Virgin sim off ebay and some credit (£5 anyway with sim) and give T-Mobile a miss. Virgin will block any sim unused for 365 days, but will issue a new sim with a new number AND transfer any credit, all FOC.

Don't you think T-Mobile are being a bit harsh?

Sponsored Links
Simon, if you have credit on the phone they CANNOT, as far as I am aware, cancel the account.

Also, try phoning it once a week, that'll p*ss them off!! :LOL:

when payg first came out, i read the small print (was thinking of getting one) it clearly stated (not actual words) that if you fail to use the phone in x days it will be cancelled.

besides they have got your money, you have signed the contract (or accepted the T & C, of contract) so surley their obligation is covered, since they told you if you dont use it they will cancel it.

when i read it thats why i never bothered

I had a PAYG phone from 1999. All of the operators brought out such a package about that time. I had Voidfone, which seemed the most level of them all. You paid for £5 credit, you got £5 worth of calls.

But, one2none were rubbish. Say you put £10 of credit on your phone, you had to use it within 30 days or you lost that credit. Forever. And you had to put a minimum of £10 credit on your phone each month, or it got barred. My dad had such a phone and got very annoyed with it very quickly.

Seems that Wee-mobile are carrying on some traditions!

As it is a PAYG, the only comeback you really have is to just stop using the phone.

I hope numbers are kept forever: I have an excellent number from my old PAYG phone that reads the same when rotated 180 degrees and is made up entirely of 9's and 6's. I kept the SIM but my current provider (Three) won't transfer numbers if you want the sweet deals. One day I will have my cool number back again. :D

Sponsored Links
Looks like if you want your 69 number, you'll have to keep it active, or it will be lost.

If it was so cool :cool: , why didn't you port it to your next provider?

FWL_Engineer said:
Simon, if you have credit on the phone they CANNOT, as far as I am aware, cancel the account.

Also, try phoning it once a week, that'll p*ss them off!! :LOL:

She said they can cancel it regardless of whether there is credit in there or not....

Tried phoning it - that's how I found out it was s*agged - there is a recorded message saying, "Calls to this number are not being connected at the moment."

There's some legislation they passed regarding whether or not PAYG credit is equivalent to money. All came about due to these things where you pay for ringtones via an exhorbitant text message price.

This probably explains how they can end your account with money on the phone.

Still, it isn't in their business interest: you can't make calls on a cancelled phone, and when treated like that are likely to move to another operator. I feel they have always been trying to get people onto contracts.

let them cancel the account but insist on a refund of your money.

From T-Mobile

wap_charges_paygo.pdf (AKA Pay as you go Everyone plans (49 KB))

..You must make a connection action at least once
every 180 days. If you do not, your SIM card will be
disconnected from the network, and you will not be
able to use the service at all. You will also lose your
mobile phone number. Any credit on your account
at the time of disconnection will be forfeited...

Them be the 'signed off' by someone 'Secure', rules ..
The whole 'kin lot is the biggest rip off in existence IMHO...

Perhaps we need a co-operative style Comms company, owned by the people for the people.
;)

Vodafone were the same with sweet deals but not being able to port the number - I have just got a cracking contract deal with them but they wouldn't let me bring 07835 *** 555 with me from o2.

ninebob said:
Vodafone were the same with sweet deals but not being able to port the number - I have just got a cracking contract deal with them but they wouldn't let me bring 07835 *** 555 with me from o2.

Si

OFCOM says you have the right to switch if:

it's a pre-paid phone and the operator has recovered any subsidy.

it's a pay monthly handset 12+ months old.

To switch your number to a new network, ask your provider (who the number you want to switch is with) for a PAC code - Port Authorisation Code.

They should not refuse and if they do, ask why. If you feel they are being unreasonable, ring OFCOM on 0845 714 5000 or click on ofcom.org.uk

Well, bought a Virgin sim today from e-bay 2.98 inc shipping. Includes a fiver of credit - so think I'm quids in.

Stuff T Mobile.....that's the way to lose customers. And if anyone works for them, maybe they could post here and let us know the reasoning behind your dumb rules.....

I was considering getting a cheap sim card but orange want £20 to unblock me fone :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back