Open staircase - fitting risers - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

hope you can give me a little advice/suggestions.

We have just moved to a new house and the staircase is 'open'. The treads are carpeted right round.
I am concerned that our dog is going to harm himself by losing his footing through the gaps. We have already had a couple of close calls.

I wish to close the gaps by putting in risers and then repining each piece of carpet to make a closed carpeted staircase.

As the risers are not part of the support structure and not load bearing i wondered what type of wood to use and how to fix.

I thought about 18mm MDF.

And the two fixing methods i have in mind are either

a - wooden block brackets to fix to the upper tread and long (ish) woodscrews through the riser and lower tread.
b - screw down through the upper tread (countersunk). And same as a for the riser to lower tread.

probably with first applying some pva to the joining surfaces.

That's my thoughts so feel free to comment on how you think i should tackle this. I will be doing it on my own and kinna need to do it quickly.

thanks in advance,

cheers,

dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back