Opinions on Halstead boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a combi boiler in, and my local plumber has recommended a Halstead Eden CBX, on the grounds that it is quiet (the boilers going in a bedroom cupboard). This model also comes with a 5 year guarantee on the heat exchanger.

My top priority on a boiler is reliability. I had never heard of Halstead, and was thinking of going for a Worcester-Bosch, or a Vaillant.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Sponsored Links
The Eden has not sold very well. However its as good as any other cheaper boiler and has a long guarantee.

However like all boilers the system should be power flushed and the gas supply must be upsized to give no more than 1 mB pressure loss otherwise it may start hooting.

The installer must be CORGI and notify to CORGI and fill in the Benchmark.

Tony

Yes a lot of people use them in this neck of the woods the guys who fit them swear by them. City Plumbing do a good heatpack around them.

Heat exchanger in my Halstead needed replacement under warranty after only eighteen months, design fault!

Arni

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
The Eden has not sold very well. However its as good as any other cheaper boiler and has a long guarantee.

However like all boilers the system should be power flushed and the gas supply must be upsized to give no more than 1 mB pressure loss otherwise it may start hooting.

The installer must be CORGI and notify to CORGI and fill in the Benchmark.

Tony

I suppose these things are relative, but just under a £1000 for an Eden CBX doesn't strike me as one of the "cheaper" boilers! The Worcester-Bosch and Vaillant models that I've looked at are around the £950 mark - that's not especially cheap for a condensing combi is it?

I dont see £739.95 including VAT for the Eden as a very expensive price for a Band A condensing boiler.

Most Worcester and Vaillant boilers are about £950 so about £210 more !

ARNI what was the problem with your Eden?

Tony

Agile said:
I dont see £739.95 including VAT for the Eden as a very expensive price for a Band A condensing boiler.

Most Worcester and Vaillant boilers are about £950 so about £210 more !

ARNI what was the problem with your Eden?

Tony

I see! The price that you quoted for the Eden is significantly less than my installer's price. No matter though, I've decided to go for a Worcester-Bosch anyway.

Thanks for everyone's input.

It depends on the power rating as well thats the price for the 24 kW but its not clear if its more for the 32 kW.

The installer may be adding a mark-up but one would have expected that to have been a fixed amount for all boilers.

Perhaps he just added a bit on there to make up for all the repeat visits he expects to be called back to?

Tony

Hi Agile

Mine is actually a Hero75, made a loud banging noises just before it cut out at the end of the first long heating run, would then be perfectly OK on the subsequent shorter runs until the room thermostat switched it off. The installer had never heard anything like it and referred it to Halstead who I was told admitted a design fault, new ones were being awaited from the foundry and after couple of weeks a new one was supplied. A number of new boards fitted under warranty to sort other problems, not impressed overall.

Arni

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back