Ottoman storage bed with lift up storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have seen this bed that will suit my needs exactly as my bed room is very narrow and was wondering if this would be something that a joiner could make for me for less cash?

There are other ottoman storage beds on the market but I REALLY need one were the base is of the bed is the same size as the mattress or a centimeter or two bigger. All of the cheaper ones I have seen have bases 10-15cm bigger than the mattress.

The bed is called the Jaybe Mayfair Ottoman bed and comes with a price tag of £820 with a headboard and mattress.

http://www.bestpricebeds.co.uk/product_display.asp?id=2015

What do you think?

Thanks
Andrea

Sponsored Links
perhaps its bigger for the "spring / hinge bits" to be fitted

why not ask a proper carpenter for his opinion, he can only say no / yes, and if yes how many £

It looks like its wider so as to allow the frame and mattress to drop into the storage area. Guess this is to stop the mattress being pressed into an adjacent wall, stopping the 'lid' from opening.

Would you have room in your .. room... to give enough clearance either side of the bed to aloe for a version that had the mattress opening over the edge of the bed instead of pivoting into it?

I'd say that the bulk of the cost is going to be the matress. Buy that separately and the only trickey bit for the joiner would be getting the complicated looking counterbalance hinges right. To my (untrained) eye, the actual carcass just looks like 4, 600mm-ish boards and a base with some short legs to act as corner reinforcement (+ upholstery).

wanabechippie said:
It looks like its wider so as to allow the frame and mattress to drop into the storage area. Guess this is to stop the mattress being pressed into an adjacent wall, stopping the 'lid' from opening.

Would you have room in your .. room... to give enough clearance either side of the bed to aloe for a version that had the mattress opening over the edge of the bed instead of pivoting into it?

Confused? Me too! :confused:

Its the width of the room thats the problem, if the mattress lifted at the foot end towards the head of the bed would be fine like this one

http://www.bestpricebeds.co.uk/product_display.asp?id=1974

but if you look at the width of the beds the base is quite a few centimeters bigger than the mattress.

Sponsored Links
i am assuming the board under the matress lowers down and sits in a rebate of around 12mm around the inside edge of the bed base to give you that solid chunky look thus the fact the base is a few inches bigger than the matress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back