Outdoor Security Light and Electrical Certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
This post has 2 parts really:
1) I want to put in a floodlight for my garden. It will be on the rear wall. There is a socket and also a fused spur that my boiler is linked to.
a) Am i ok to install or is it a part p notifiable thingy majigy?
b) If i can install, can put a fuse spur from the boiler fuse spur? Or the socket?

2) I am slowly going through my house, redecorating etc. Have had my consumer unit changed, a shower circuit put in and a cooker circuit put in. I know these things need certifying and have arranged for someone to come out and give me the appropriate certs. However, i'm nervous that when i come to sell, in about a years time, that the whole thing will be condemned or summat (just my luck)!
This certification i have arranged - will the testing cover all my circuits? Like a PIR?

Sponsored Links
b) If i can install, can put a fuse spur from the boiler fuse spur? Or the socket?

There is a good chance that the boiler supply may come from your heating controller so don't take it from there or the lights will go on & off with your boiler!

Install a new FCU for your light fed from the socket

2) I am slowly going through my house, redecorating etc. Have had my consumer unit changed, a shower circuit put in and a cooker circuit put in. I know these things need certifying and have arranged for someone to come out and give me the appropriate certs. However, i'm nervous that when i come to sell, in about a years time, that the whole thing will be condemned or summat (just my luck)!
This certification i have arranged - will the testing cover all my circuits? Like a PIR?

Get a PIR done and highlight the areas of work which you want fully checked. He will advise you if they need up-grading. Once you have a PIR you can get other sparks to quote on remedial works if that makes you feel better

casey25 said:
Am i ok to install or is it a part p notifiable thingy
Yes and yes.

It will, but it'll be an electrical cert, not a Building Regs compliance certification, and as you've had notifiable work done and failed to notify LABC in advance, it won't get you (or, strictly speaking the person(s) who did the work) out of the situation of having contravened the Building Regs....

My understanding is that outside lighting attached to the main body of the house is not notifiable.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
My understanding is that outside lighting attached to the main body of the house is not notifiable.

This is where it is about as clear as mud, the SI has an outdoor lighting system as a "special installation" although the guide to the approved document on says "the installation of equipment to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting....) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit of the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation. I'm still undecided on this one though.....

ban-all-sheds said:
It will, but it'll be an electrical cert, not a Building Regs compliance certification, and as you've had notifiable work done and failed to notify LABC in advance, it won't get you (or, strictly speaking the person(s) who did the work) out of the situation of having contravened the Building Regs....

I read the post as if the works Casey wanted tested had been done at some time in the past but I could be wrong. BC have been giving people time to adapt to PP so as long as the works test OK and are documented on a PIR I cant see a problem when selling.

Spark123 said:
securespark said:

This is where it is about as clear as mud, the SI has an outdoor lighting system as a "special installation"
Indeed it does, and the SI is as clear as a clear thing that's very clear that it is therefore notifiable.

However....
although the guide to the approved document on says "the installation of equipment to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting....) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit of the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation....
If the Organisation of Dozy Penpushing Ministers says it's not notifiable, then who are we to take them to court to prove that the law doesn't agree?

Pensdown said:
I read the post as if the works Casey wanted tested had been done at some time in the past but I could be wrong. BC have been giving people time to adapt to PP so as long as the works test OK and are documented on a PIR I cant see a problem when selling.
I read it as at least some of it having been done since Jan 2005.

But as you say - who's to know? Or care?

The point I should have made is that if asked, Casey should back-date old work, if necessary...

Ok, well thanks for your advice.
I'm going to install the light from a Fuse Spur off the socket.

As for the electrical certification, the sparky i asked to do it said he would thoroughly check everything and then class it as his own work. So i guess that gets me and the person who did it out of trouble.
If he finds something bad, i'll just have to get a bit done at a time.

When coming to sell, will the elctrical tests etc be included in this new Home Sellers Pack? Is that the thing house sellers have got to worry about??

I know it's a sore point around here, but God i wish time would go back to pre Jan 2005!

Currently ...
What will be included in the Home Information Pack?
The Pack will include the following documents which the seller provides up front:
terms of sale
evidence of title
replies to standard preliminary enquiries made on behalf of buyers
copies of any planning, listed building and building regulations consents and approvals
for new properties, copies of warranties and guarantees
The Pack will also contain two items provided by buyers now:
replies to searches made of the local authority
a Home Condition Report based on a professional survey of the property including an energy efficiency assessment
Also, for leasehold properties:
a copy of the lease
most recent service charge accounts and receipts
building insurance policy details and payment receipts
regulations made by the landlord or management company
When will the contents of the Home Information Pack be finalised?
The contents of the Home Information Packs are being finalised following the consultation which ended in January 2006. The regulations will specify the detailed contents.
How long will the complete Pack be valid for?
The regulations are likely to state that the Home Information Pack is valid whilst the home is continuously marketed for sale, and allow for a period where the property might be taken off the market whilst, for example it is under offer or to allow a seller to change agents.

The main time-sensitive items in the Home Information Pack are local searches and home condition report. These are generally acknowledged to be valid for six months

Most sales complete within six months under the current process and we expect the Home Information Pack to shorten the time between offer acceptance and exchange of contracts.
Liability? Is it the provider who is liable?
The competent provider is liable for any misinformation within the pack. For example, search provider for searches, Home Inspectors for Home Condition Reports, seller for property information form etc..

http://www.homeinformationpacks.gov.uk/faq_regs.aspx#1
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back