1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor Security Light and Electrical Certification

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by casey25, 19 Apr 2006.

1. casey25

casey25

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all
    This post has 2 parts really:
    1) I want to put in a floodlight for my garden. It will be on the rear wall. There is a socket and also a fused spur that my boiler is linked to.
    a) Am i ok to install or is it a part p notifiable thingy majigy?
    b) If i can install, can put a fuse spur from the boiler fuse spur? Or the socket?

2) I am slowly going through my house, redecorating etc. Have had my consumer unit changed, a shower circuit put in and a cooker circuit put in. I know these things need certifying and have arranged for someone to come out and give me the appropriate certs. However, i'm nervous that when i come to sell, in about a years time, that the whole thing will be condemned or summat (just my luck)!
    This certification i have arranged - will the testing cover all my circuits? Like a PIR?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Pensdown

Pensdown

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is a good chance that the boiler supply may come from your heating controller so don't take it from there or the lights will go on & off with your boiler!

Install a new FCU for your light fed from the socket

Get a PIR done and highlight the areas of work which you want fully checked. He will advise you if they need up-grading. Once you have a PIR you can get other sparks to quote on remedial works if that makes you feel better

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes and yes.

It will, but it'll be an electrical cert, not a Building Regs compliance certification, and as you've had notifiable work done and failed to notify LABC in advance, it won't get you (or, strictly speaking the person(s) who did the work) out of the situation of having contravened the Building Regs....

5. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My understanding is that outside lighting attached to the main body of the house is not notifiable.

6. Spark123

Spark123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This is where it is about as clear as mud, the SI has an outdoor lighting system as a "special installation" although the guide to the approved document on says "the installation of equipment to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting....) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit of the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special installation. I'm still undecided on this one though.....

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Pensdown

Pensdown

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I read the post as if the works Casey wanted tested had been done at some time in the past but I could be wrong. BC have been giving people time to adapt to PP so as long as the works test OK and are documented on a PIR I cant see a problem when selling.

9. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Indeed it does, and the SI is as clear as a clear thing that's very clear that it is therefore notifiable.

However....
    If the Organisation of Dozy Penpushing Ministers says it's not notifiable, then who are we to take them to court to prove that the law doesn't agree?

I read it as at least some of it having been done since Jan 2005.

But as you say - who's to know? Or care?

The point I should have made is that if asked, Casey should back-date old work, if necessary...

10. casey25

casey25

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok, well thanks for your advice.
    I'm going to install the light from a Fuse Spur off the socket.

As for the electrical certification, the sparky i asked to do it said he would thoroughly check everything and then class it as his own work. So i guess that gets me and the person who did it out of trouble.
    If he finds something bad, i'll just have to get a bit done at a time.

When coming to sell, will the elctrical tests etc be included in this new Home Sellers Pack? Is that the thing house sellers have got to worry about??

I know it's a sore point around here, but God i wish time would go back to pre Jan 2005!

11. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Currently ...
    http://www.homeinformationpacks.gov.uk/faq_regs.aspx#1
    ;)

12. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local