outhouse conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of converting an old dark room in my garden into an office. It is a single brick construction with concrete floor. I know the roof/windows/doors need sorting but how am i best getting it 'habitable' ie warm/not damp etc. Any ideas would be welcome!

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dryline walls with battens+ plasterboard........Rising damp doesn`t exist so no worries about that ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for that - what about the floor - I guess there is no DPM in that and I would obviously want a floor finish/carpet or similar? :?: would i need to do anything about ventilation to the roof. currently it is joists that need replacing with rotten ply and then felt. also any ideas about insulation?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
The floor will be cold, you might put down poly dpc, insulating foam boards, and a floating wood or laminate floor on that. Most of your heat will go through the ceiling, if you are having the roof done, you could plasterboard it with ordinary loft insulation between the joists.

You can get plasterboard with an insulating rigid foam layer incorporated. If the headroom is insufficient deal with this before doing the roof (e.g. by adding a few extra courses to the walls).

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
no12rugby said:
thanks for that - what about the floor - I guess there is no DPM in that and I would obviously want a floor finish/carpet or similar? :?: would i need to do anything about ventilation to the roof. currently it is joists that need replacing with rotten ply and then felt. also any ideas about insulation?

Do not replace the joists with rotten ply :LOL: