Outside cable.

O

oompah

I want to run a fused spur to my garage from a socket in an extension about 2 foot of cable would be outside exposed to the elements whats best to use so its not too exposed especially against sun damage because if and when it shines the area in question is a sun trap.

Sponsored Links
Use a short length of steel wire armoured, or run a cable of your choice through some form of conduit to provide protection.

many thanks lecys use plastic conduit at work so will use some of that.

Don't forget to make sure the sockets in your extension are on an RCD protected circuit. Chances are they will be on account of (presumably) being downstairs and near the garden, but don't assume.

Sponsored Links
No they are not protcted with a rcd, extension was built 10 yrs ago father in law who was a qualified lecy did the wiring i have a wylex cu unit from when the house was new 20 yr ago

Your garage will be considered to be outside of the earthed equipotential zone, also sockets in there can reasonably be expected to supply power to portable equipment outdoors so they will require RCD protection.

GaryMo said:
Your garage will be considered to be outside of the earthed equipotential zone, also sockets in there can reasonably be expected to supply power to portable equipment outdoors so they will require RCD protection.
Presumably this is new regs because there is already a socket in there coming off the upstairs ring main installed by builders when house was new.

Just reread this thread.
You have a socket in your extension and would like to run a fused spur off this into your garage.
In that case the fused spur won't require RCD protection unless the equipment it supplies has exposed conductive parts which may be touched by a person in contact with the general mass of earth (471-08-03).
This all depends on whether you consider your garage to be outside of the equipotential zone.

But, you should have RCD protection for any socket that can reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors (471-16-01).

fit one of these
CM4901M.JPG

breezer said:
fit one of these
CM4901M.JPG
got one on the original socket .The original question was with what to cover cable exposed to the elements ,question answered thanks to all.

oompah, you may well have an existing rcd socket, but anything connected to it will NOT be rcd protected.

anything plugged in it will be rcd protected

breezer said:
oompah, you may well have an existing rcd socket, but anything connected to it will NOT be rcd protected.

anything plugged in it will be rcd protected
Never said i was going to connect anything to the original socket because this is a spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back