Outside Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very large wooden kennel about 10 metres away from the house.

Just as a temporary measure I have an extension cable plugged into an outside socket that runs off of the RCD side of the CU. This power supplies a 180W heater and a 60W light. The plugs are on a shelf above the dogs bed box so he cannot get to them. I would like proper fixed wiring.

At that end of the garden I would also like a waterproof socket, there is a wall that it could be attached to a couple of metres from the kennel.

The CU is in the garage about 20 metres (in cable length) from where it could come out of the rear of the garage for SWA. Then the kennel is about 18 metres (in cable length) going down 45cm underground.

I know that the work is notifiable under Part P. What would be the best way of arranging this bearing in mind that the kennel would at some time have to be replaced. And what would be a ball park figure for an electrician to do the work.

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
From a 16A MCB run 4mm² t&e to a metal adaptable box. From there run 4mm² SWA to the kennel. At the kennel terminate the SWA into a metalclad socket. You can then add an FCU to feed the outside socket.

I'm assuming the light is in the form of a lamp not a fixed pendant or something like that? Either way I suggest you fit an energy efficient lamp, you have a heater so there's no need for the extra heat put out by a 60W lamp, unless your dog is fussy about the colour light he has :LOL:

No idea of cost, it varies considerably based on many factors.

davy_owen_88 said:
I'm assuming the light is in the form of a lamp not a fixed pendant or something like that?

At the minute it's just a car work lamp attached to the mesh but I was going to have a bulkhead light in the roof space. I agree with using a low energy bulb.

I know you can't give an estimate I was just wondering if it was going to cost a couple of hundred quid or nearer £500. I can do all of the digging out using a mini digger.

Also would it matter if the SWA run was eventually covered by a slab of concrete for a shed base or should all of the run be accessible in the future?

pcsparky said:
At the minute it's just a car work lamp attached to the mesh but I was going to have a bulkhead light in the roof space. I agree with using a low energy bulb.

Right, well in that case you'll need to spur off the socket for the lights too (3A).

pcsparky said:
Also would it matter if the SWA run was eventually covered by a slab of concrete for a shed base or should all of the run be accessible in the future?

You might want to run the cable in some ducting so you can replace the cable without digging it all up again but are no problems with the cables being below the slab.

Sponsored Links
this may come under the scope of section 605 of the regs..

agricultural and horticultural premises..

need to fit a 500mA rcd to feed the kennel..

switches need to be outside the area where the dog is kept

plastic conduit and fittings, not metal ( corrosion from the dogs urine / introducing an extra thing to bond. )

lower Zs and tripping times

need to bond everything metal ( mesh etc.. )

So davy_owen_88, the SWA would just be a radial circuit with a metalclad socket then two FCU's one for the outdoor socket and one for the light?

1. Will I need to have space on my CU for this circuit on the RCD or non-RCD side?

If I do it as you suggest I should be able to install the cables myself and just let a sparky connect everything up so that should keep costs down a little.

2. What would you suggest for ducting?

3. If I dig down 45cm am I right in thinking that the ducting should then be covered by a certain depth of gravel and then a warning tape?

For ColJack, don't know if it makes a difference but the kennel is just for a pet dog.

pcsparky said:
So davy_owen_88, the SWA would just be a radial circuit with a metalclad socket then two FCU's one for the outdoor socket and one for the light?

Yes.

pcsparky said:
1. Will I need to have space on my CU for this circuit on the RCD or non-RCD side?

RCD side.

pcsparky said:
If I do it as you suggest I should be able to install the cables myself and just let a sparky connect everything up so that should keep costs down a little.

Make sure you let the sparky doing the work know you are doing so, some will want to inspect the trench etc before you fill it back in.

pcsparky said:
2. What would you suggest for ducting?

Any hollow tube will do.

pcsparky said:
3. If I dig down 45cm am I right in thinking that the ducting should then be covered by a certain depth of gravel and then a warning tape?

Yes. I can't remember if there is a stated depth needed for the tape but don't put it too far down.

Section 605 isn't applicable to household use.

Didn't know that the bulbs could make a noise, will consider it if he shows any signs of disconfort, thanks.

After looking at where the SWA will have to go to get to the back of the kennel, when I reach the front of the kennel the digging will be very difficult. The concrete base stands about 20cm higher than the ground. Is it possible/permitted to fix the cable to the side of the concrete base at this point rather than it being buried?

section 605 applies to any building designed to house or keep animals in..

if the dog pees in the corner it will still corrode the metal clad fittings and conduits as much as if it were a cow shed..

500mA rcd is for fire protection..

the lower Zs is for the dogs protection should it chew through a cable etc... dogs can take a lot less volts than humans before dying..

Where the socket etc. would be located and the way that the SWA would be routed would make it impossible for either water ingress or dog pee to come into contact with any of these things.

I don't know anything about sec. 605. davy_owen_88 seems to think that this does not apply to this situation, I don't know either way.

Can the SWA be attached to the side of the concrete? Dog pee would not come into contact with it due to the slope.

I'm sure its says in section 605 something along the lines of:

'locations for household use are not covered by this section"

Definition of agriculture said:
Agriculture is the process of producing food, feed, fiber and other desired products by the cultivation of certain plants and the raising of domesticated animals (livestock). The practice of agriculture is also known as farming.

I just can't see how a dog kennel comes under this section.

Regardless, 30mA protection is being used and the OP has already said the sockets are kept well out of reach of the animal, and dogs don't tend to wander round ****ing everywhere like cows either :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back