1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Outside in Garden Wiring

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by dibsdiy, 1 Aug 2021.

1. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am putting in a replacement pond filter which has a much longer cable and it will be about 4 metres away from the garden wall socket, (protected by a RCD Timeguard). The previous filter was in a different place not needing the long cable. I need to run the new cable under part of the garden next to paving and wonder which is the best armoured conduit I should be buying. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Bonni

Bonni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Part P of the Building Regulations states that any electrical installations must be carried out by a competent person. This is in line with the competency expected from gas installers and goes far beyond just knowing which colour wires do what.

Competency, in this case, will mean a full, qualified knowledge of electrical installations. It will mean you have the ability to thoroughly check a circuit for safety and you will be able to issue a minor works certificate as a self certified "competent person".

So if you're asking what wire to use, I think you should call an electrician.

4. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for your reply but I am not asking what wire to use. The unit already has the wiring attached as per the manufacturer, it only needs a three pin plug with 3 amp fuse to be fitted. I was asking what armoured conduit should be used to enclose the wire. Thank you.

5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    No it doesn't.

Have you ever read the Requirements section of Part P of the Building Regulations?

I have

And memorised every word.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    In respect of Certification of Electrical work, that is absolutely NOT what it means.

8. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you really must run the flex underground, then steel conduit is the only option, https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/metal-conduit/cat1970002

The real answer is to not to put appliance flex underground, or use a more suitable cable such as SWA to have a socket outlet nearer to the pump location.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. dibsdiy

dibsdiy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    flameport, thank you for your reply. I had looked at steel conduit but I just assumed it had to go underground. It will be going right next to paving and steel seems to be the best solution and not underground which will save me some work. Because of the logistics, it is not possible to have a socket nearer to the pump location. Thank you for the screwfix connection, I have a branch nearby so will call in tomorrow. Again, many thanks.

10. Bonni

Bonni

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oh dear, no wonder accidents happen.