Outside light from twin socket spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has already been answered in part, but I just want to have it clear in my mind before I blow the garage up... lol

currently have a 240v power supply to my garage, which feeds 2 standard strip lights (switched) as well as a standard twin socket.

I want to install a standard outside garden light, taking a feed from the twin socket.

Can someone please confirm that it is safe and possible to do so, before I go any further.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
It would be useful knowing a little more about the installation in your garage first. Where does the supply to your garage come from? This might help in identifying whether or not it is RCD protected and that the current installation is safe. We can then further advise on connecting an outdoor light.

electronicsuk said:
It would be useful knowing a little more about the installation in your garage first. Where does the supply to your garage come from? This might help in identifying whether or not it is RCD protected and that the current installation is safe. We can then further advise on connecting an outdoor light.

Hi, Thanks for replying. The power supply originates from the main house supply, via the consumer Unit. There’s a separate fuse on the consumer unit solely for the supply to the garage - all of which was professionally installed.

I’m hoping to take a feed from the twin socket, with a 5amp fused switch spur in between the socket and the garden lantern.

There’s a RCD – 30mA 230v fuse on the Consumer Unit, which I know from experience cuts the power supply throughout the property, including the garage.

You are in good shape than. That new garden light, is it 230V or 12v, with a transformer that would be mounted inside?

There's things to look out for. You just cant go draping bits of flex around your garden if its mains voltage...

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
You are in good shape than. That new garden light, is it 230V or 12v, with a transformer that would be mounted inside?

There's things to look out for. You just cant go draping bits of flex around your garden if its mains voltage...

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. There's no transformer, just following the instructions on the box, it's 230v I've been told that I need a 2.5mm twin & earth between the extisting socket (which will hopefully provide the power supply) and a fused 5amp switch and then 1.5mm twin & earth between the fused switch and the light fitting, which is of course on the outside of the wall.

Does that sound about right?

Cheers :D

kvfilms said:
There's no transformer, just following the instructions on the box, it's 230v I've been told that I need a 2.5mm twin & earth between the extisting socket (which will hopefully provide the power supply) and a fused 5amp switch and then 1.5mm twin & earth between the fused switch and the light fitting, which is of course on the outside of the wall.

Yes, that sounds about right. The only thing I might suggest is using 1.5mm flex instead of T+E if the outdoor light is a floodlight. The flex will be more suitable for the cable gland on the light fitting on account of being round, and should be less succeptable to damage from the elements.

electronicsuk said:
kvfilms said:
There's no transformer, just following the instructions on the box, it's 230v I've been told that I need a 2.5mm twin & earth between the extisting socket (which will hopefully provide the power supply) and a fused 5amp switch and then 1.5mm twin & earth between the fused switch and the light fitting, which is of course on the outside of the wall.

Yes, that sounds about right. The only thing I might suggest is using 1.5mm flex instead of T+E if the outdoor light is a floodlight. The flex will be more suitable for the cable gland on the light fitting on account of being round, and should be less succeptable to damage from the elements.

Hi, I'm pleased to say that after only about 30min (baring in mind it was my first attempt) that all is well and working, quite easy really, however, since I already had the 1.5mm T+E I used that as none of the T &E is exposed - it goes through the wall and out the other side directly into the back of the light fitting, which is mounted on the wall - it's a standard 60w garden/ porch lantern.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back