OUtside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to install two 2 weatherproof RCD sockets. This is to be done by drilling through the back wall of the sockets and taking spurs. However, 2 things i'd like t know is:
1. Am i able to take a spur from a kitchen socket? drilling through the wall and placing the RCD socket outside?
2. can the second outside double RCD socket be spurred from a single socket inside?

Appreciate any advice
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can only spur off a socket if the socket is a socket on the ring (ie not already a spur).

Usually you can tell because there will be two cables going to the socket but you must check first if it is really a ring and not a socket that is already a spur with another cable going to a second socket.

Note that adding outside sockets is notifiable work.

Both absolutely fine, aslong the socket you are spurring from is not already a spur, or feeding a spur (assuming you have ring circuits in your home).

A spur will be dictated by a single set of cables, or if the socket is feeding a spur, three sets of cables.

If you have two sets of cables, it is likely to be a socket on a ring, and you can spur from this. Best to check it is a ring by looking for continuity with a multimeter (low ohms) between red and red, black and black, earth and earth.

Dont forget to grommet the back box where you knockout the knockout, and make sure you drill a slight angle downwards to prevent water tracking through on the cable.

Drill the drain hole out on the socket outside to allow any moisture that does build up in the back box to drain away.

If you have a consumer unit with an RCD incorporated, and the sockets you spur from are protected by this RCD, having an additional RCD in the socket outside is pointless and a waste of money - it would be a gamble which RCD tripped first.

Thanks Lectrician. Thought this was the case but reassured to know.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd much rather run it off a switched fuse spur, just a thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back