oven isolator behind hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hopefully someone can answer this,

I'm in the process of fitting a new kitchen with gas hob and electic double oven below.

Due to the corner units the hob will have to sit in front of the isolator for the oven.

I'm assuming this not acceptable so it will have to move but I hoped that there might be an isolator unit that could be intalled in this location to save me having to knock the wall about too much.

I've been seaching for a while but can't find any regulations for the location of the switch. The current switch does have a 13A socket but I'm going to change it for one that doesn't.

Cheers

D

Sponsored Links
Not sure if its actually a reg, or just a very good recommendation, but you shouldn't put the isolator there. for a start it'd be all to easy to go to switch the oven off and drag your sleeve across a gas flame...

Unfortunatly the only solution is to position the isolator elsewhere, but near to the oven, I suggest to one side of the hob, if this is possible in your kitchen.

it should be within 2M of the appliance. and puttin it above a cooker is just plain stupidity.

also, are you aware of part P?

Thanks for the replies,

Looks like I'm going too be moving it, could have done without the hassle but it's for the best. Have traced the cable to where it enters the cavity in the roof space as it's a single storey extension. I''ll have to do further investigation tomorrow. The new location will be a slightly shorther cable run so that should be fine with the existing cable providing I can gain sufficent access.

I am aware of part P and while this is more than likely a DIY with notification task I'm not too concerned. The cooker is fed through a single 40A trip from a 63A RCD with 6mm cable. I'm taking out a free standing double oven with 4 hobs and fitting a double fan oven and gas hob so the overall power requirement is much less. All I'm really doing is moving the existing circuit by a 30 cm using the existing cable which is more than sufficient.

regards

D

Sponsored Links
decto said:
Thanks for the replies,

Looks like I'm going too be moving it, could have done without the hassle but it's for the best. Have traced the cable to where it enters the cavity in the roof space as it's a single storey extension. I''ll have to do further investigation tomorrow. The new location will be a slightly shorther cable run so that should be fine with the existing cable providing I can gain sufficent access.

I am aware of part P and while this is more than likely a DIY with notification task I'm not too concerned. The cooker is fed through a single 40A trip from a 63A RCD with 6mm cable. I'm taking out a free standing double oven with 4 hobs and fitting a double fan oven and gas hob so the overall power requirement is much less. All I'm really doing is moving the existing circuit by a 30 cm using the existing cable which is more than sufficient.

regards

D

this is still part P notifiable. wether you follow it or not means nothing to me.

altho just because you might not be doing it legally doesnt mean that you should skip on safety. providing you do it correct and its safe, **** part p/ i dont need some council bloke (who doesnt know anytihng about electrical) telling me that my work is wrong

decto said:
Due to the corner units the hob will have to sit in front of the isolator for the oven.

I'm assuming this not acceptable
I found this information somewhere, once, but can't remember where. I think they are guidelines from a BS, rather than actual regulations, but they make a lot of sense:

For hobs, there is an exclusion zone that extends over the hob and a further 50 mm horizontally in every direction along the work surface, and upwards for 760 mm. In this zone, there may be no combustible materials. This usually means there is almost no margin for positioning the hob to avoid the wall cupboards each side. Note that as of autumn 2004 if you fit a 700mm wide hob (usually 5 burner units) then you must have at least 700mm gap or "bridge" in any wall cupboards.

For cookers the zone is 20 mm side clearance on the lower part of the cooker (oven sides) and then 150 mm each side for the top part of the cooker (above the level of the burners and pan supports). The upper zone extends vertically to either 610 mm above the top of the cooker if it has an eye-level grill, or 760 mm if the highest point is the hob burners.

I guess it would make sense not to have wiring accessories in the exclusion zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back