Pagan Xmas

M

Moz

Sounds wonderful! NOT .....

<The Welsh town of Llangollen is to reinstate pagan festivals to its "Christmas" celebrations. Santa Claus will be decked out in green rather than red. Sion Corn, as Father Christmas is known in Welsh, will parade through the town in his green outfit on December 2.

Santa was probably partly inspired by the Druidical Holly King who wore holly in his hat, lived but once a year and drove a team of eight deer attached to his sled or wagon. Traditionally he would have been dressed in green, as Santa was until about 1896, and that’s what he’ll be wearing in Llangollen,” said Sarah Meade.

Other traditions being re-created for the event by local businesses include ‘Plygain’, which was a day of feasting with the principal dish being cheese on toast. No day of feasting here but the Cottage Tea Rooms will be supplying pieces of ‘Welsh Rarebit’ for visitors. The custom of divining using treacle toffee or ‘Taffy’ will be supplied by Charles Hardy of the Old Tailors Chocolate Shop. Here dollops of boiled ‘taffy’ are dropped in icy cold water where it forms into all sorts of shapes, like letters. If they did form a letter, tradition states it would be the initial of the younger members of the house’s future loves.

“There’ll be an appearance by the Grey Mare or Mari Llwyd, who it was believed brought good luck to households at Christmas times.>

http://www.nwt.co.uk/news/

lol
this ones not for Richie P :) :)

Sponsored Links
I bet you didnt know it was a well known cola company that changed the colour of santas togs from green to red. the reason? it matched their red cans

breezer
tbh
from what I read it was coke who help fashion the myth of santa , red attire

the origional St Nic wasnt right for them ...in green

Sponsored Links
footnote , St Nick was in green ....

U.S.A .... wanted red /white he was turned in an coloured to cokes ..... theme in the 20s

breezer said:
I bet you didnt know it was a well known cola company that changed the colour of santas togs from green to red. the reason? it matched their red cans
Santa originally comes from Saint Nicolaas (catholic bishop of Mira), wearing a red cape. He was the saint for children and travelers and in main land Europe is celebrated on the evening of December 5 or morning of December 6 with presents for children.
America 'amricanised' it into Santa Claus (rings a bell doens't it: sinterklaas ;) placing Mr Claus on the North Pole with elves (instead of black Moors - zwarte pieten - as the real Sinterklaas has as helpers) and a sledge with reindeer (instead of a ship from Spain and a horse that rides on the rooftops).

WoodYouLike said:
breezer said:
Santa originally comes from Saint Nicolaas (catholic bishop of Mira), wearing a red cape. He was the saint for children and travelers and in main land Europe is celebrated on the evening of December 5 or morning of December 6 with presents for children.
America 'amricanised' it into Santa Claus (rings a bell doens't it: sinterklaas ;) placing Mr Claus on the North Pole with elves (instead of black Moors - zwarte pieten - as the real Sinterklaas has as helpers) and a sledge with reindeer (instead of a ship from Spain and a horse that rides on the rooftops).
And here's me thinking that he was a myth all this time :LOL:

tim west

an with that attitude my lad you will not get a visit on Christmas Eve...hmm :(

Moz said:
tim west

an with that attitude my lad you will not get a visit on Christmas Eve...hmm :(
the time of getting christmas presents are long gone Moz ;) only have to dish out for them these days.

WoodYouLike said:
breezer said:

I thought there are lots and lots of similar characters from all over the world, and it is generally held that the character in question cannot be attributed to one country.

notb665 said:
WoodYouLike said:
Santa originally comes from Saint Nicolaas (catholic bishop of Mira), wearing a red cape. He was the saint for children and travelers
I thought there are lots and lots of similar characters from all over the world, and it is generally held that the character in question cannot be attributed to one country.
See here for origins

WoodYouLike said:
notb665 said:
WoodYouLike said:
Santa originally comes from Saint Nicolaas (catholic bishop of Mira), wearing a red cape. He was the saint for children and travelers
See here for origins

Yeah I know, but I still stand by my post. See here for origins of gift givers, not just Santa Claus.

Sponsored Links
Back