Paint Crazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are many topics on here about this but non realy offer advice with how to deal with it, about 2 years ago i painted my interioir walls with crown Matt paint (retail) no problem, i have just repainted in a diffrent colour Crown matt again but the paint has crazed allover, fine cracks on the surface this has happend allover, i thought it must be a bad pot so i replaced it and re applied again it crazed, i know if you apply matt over sheen or vinyl this may happen but what is causing mine to do this when its over matt already ? how to i stop it ? and would a pva sealer do the job before applying the paint again, Rubbing all the walls down is prob not an option for me. PLEASE HELP getting desperate now.

cheers
simon

Sponsored Links
Anyone URGENT now ! PLEASE PLEASE need to sort tomo before new suite arrives

There is a quick fix, but it makes it a fire hazard on walls. Apply one coat of Dulux Trade Oil Based Undercoat. However, this takes atleast 24 hours to dry. Then apply two coats of Vinyl Matt over the Undercoat. The problem with Matt emulsion is it is a breathable emulsion and should not be applied over ANY previously painted surfaces (in my opinion).

Sponsored Links
really starting to get fed up now, after 6 coats of emulsion with various coats of other stuff between, ie pva bonder, sugar soap wash, jonsons acryl undercoat primer, all with a sanding down between. and still the crazing comes back, think im gunna go mad if i cant get it sorted soon. Please someone HELP

sie1uk said:
about 2 years ago i painted my interioir walls with crown Matt paint (retail) no problem

Simon:
What was on the walls and how were they prepared 2 years ago when you originally painted them :?:

it was sugar soaped, then emulsioned. went on no probs has been ok for a year, wish i hadent repainted it now. matt on matt

sie1uk said:
it was sugar soaped, then emulsioned. went on no probs has been ok for a year, wish i hadent repainted it now. matt on matt
There is nothing wrong with matt on matt, otherwise how would we emulsion walls , ceilings etc. I've done thousands!

If this was initially, matt emulsion, over matt emulsion and not previously papered walls......I would never sugar soap walls that were matt emulsioned...never have and never will.
Can't see the point.

if you got to the point i have you will try anything, even naked skydiving if it would sort the damn crazing!

It's got to be something your doing wrong. :confused:
Your not washing yer roller out in "Mr Sheen" are you :?:

Let me give you an example "sie1uk" about what "Matt" means in painting terms. All it means is it is of an Matt finish. However, there are many different paint companies who use there own systems of the making there paints. For example, Johnstones Paints make an product called 'Johnstones Acrylic Matt' which is of an matt finish but it is acrylic based. This product mentioned is completely different from 'Matt Emulsion', hence why nobody can say that all 'Matt' paints are the same all the time. It seems to me that (not puting the blame on Crown, as there can be loads of reasons why it is happening to you) the product you have used has been caught out in a longterm reaction. The only example i know of what has happened to you, is when someone uses Dulux Trade Supermatt over a previously coated surface, then there is an 25% chance that it will crack/shrink over certain areas, but when it is overcoated with the same("any") product at a later date then it will all crack/shrink once overcoated also. So, it seems to me that Crown have used simular properties in there Matt Crown of which is used in Supermatt. However, this is only one possible conclusion. Grease can cause cracking. To much heat can cause cracking, the list can go on and on...........

OK iv got it sorted at last, I found an old tub of Dulux oil based undercoat primer rollerd it on all the walls let it dry for 2 days, then covered it in Wilko's basecoat which was very very thick let it dry over 24hrs, then used crown matt emulsion and hey presto its sorted ! What a nightmare iv had thank god its over and i havent got to go naked skydiving ! got a really good fininsh now with the basecoat, filled all the imperfections (who said wilko stuff is rubbish)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back