Paint My House, How Much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening,

I am new to the forum and have no doubt I will find the answers to all of my questions here.

I am in the process of buying a new house and hoping to complete late June. The house is a new build, smallish semi consisting of:

Lounge (17 square metres)
Dining Room
Kitchen
Hallway
downstairs Toilet
Landing
Bed 1 (with ensuite)
Bed 2
Bed 3
Bathroom

My question is this:

The builder will only paint walls magnolia but we want them pure brilliant white, how much can I expect to pay a painter & decorator to go over the full lot in white (all of the main rooms and parts of the bathrooms and kitchen) if I provide the paint myself.

I realise this is an open ended question and will depend on size and shape of rooms etc but I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Yes, I could do it myself but have limited DIY experience and simply won't have the time.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
James

Sponsored Links
Any filling, edges with caulk etc ?

What kind of emulsion are you supplying?

Any furniture expected ?

Just walls ?

Any de- nibbing ?

What finish emulsion - silk/vinyl matt/rich matt/soft sheen/contract ?

Any carpets ?

If they havent started on the Mag yet, couldnt you strike a deal with them, and ask them to paint white instead and work out a payment with them ?

Sponsored Links
Just walls, ceilings are already white as is the wood. There will be no carpets or furniture. I want this doing immediately after exchange of keys.

It will be a vinyl matt but I will provide the paint.

unfortunately, builders aren't as flexible as they used to be and refuse to use anything other then Magnolia.

Growler, just out of curiostiy as Im hopeless at pricing up, how long will it take you to do it and will you be working on your own?

papergirl said:
Growler, just out of curiostiy as Im hopeless at pricing up, how long will it take you to do it and will you be working on your own?

I wont be doing it, but if I was, it would probably take me 3 days and if I was doing it, which I'm not, I would be doing it on my own.

Not.

Sorry I worded that all wrong, didnt mean to say you would be doing it, but you seem to be very defensive, are you sure now youre not doing it. ;)

Bye the way, you are quick. or you work long days. Im impressed. :cool:

:rolleyes: Papergirl :rolleyes: not again, hehe. Anyhow, "A1056688" be warned cos usually that price is for an empty house for two coats and if u buy an low quality emulsion that requires say three or four coats then u will end up paying double that. Plus, Before you get house painted white after being painted magnolia, then make sure the heating is turned on about 7 days prior to the guy who paints it white, as cracks can appear, but only when heating is on. Though to fix cracks is an extra cost in itself.

papergirl said:
Bye the way, you are quick. or you work long days. Im impressed. :cool:

I'd have a room finished before most decorators had thought about putting their overalls on. That's if I was doing it - which I'm not.

I'd have a room finished before most decorators had thought about putting their overalls on. That's if I was doing it - which I'm not.[/quote]

You may as well, youv got it all sussed out. :LOL:

Anybody else dare to quote it

500!!!...what a rip off!...I reckon no more than £499...(cash!) :evil:

Rough guess....three normal days or 2 long and hard ones..

Realistically...price wise depends on the area really..top dollar london prices three days...450...

Down this way...three days...about 360

One thing..the lounge is a bit pokey..17m2...that makes it about 7 feet square!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back